Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:47:06 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: Parts Place, a good story

>>A fellow Westfalia owner who is not a List member asked me >>if I knew of the Parts Place and whether they had a web page. >>Anyone out there dealt with them and can give me any info? > > I believe the general opinion of these guys is that they are to be avoided > at all cost. I don't think I have ever heard anything good about them, and > I have heard plenty of bad things on both this list and the Scirocco list. > > Bill

I'm not defending PP, but this is a true story.

A customer at my buddy's garage, knowing that I am a Vanaholic, called him asked to get in touch with me. His '86/87 Syncro had been in a wreck and suffered serious front end damage about 18 months earlier. He had always planned on getting it fixed. BUT as he is a VERY independent (like a pig on ice) sort of fellow with no real job, he had decided to sell it "as is" and move on with life. He had already spoken to PP and they offered him $500 site unseen. He gave me a chance before sending it to the big, bad PP. He had had an unpleasant experience at one of PP's open houses. SO, I drove into the hills to inspect the van... no repairing the front end, it would not start, no good bumpers and the interior was just okay AND I was already the owner of three vans and didn't want this project even at $500. Parts Place sent a kid down (5 hours each way) with the cash in hand and a flat bed. He fixed the mouse-eaten starter wire and it then ran, so the exchange was made.

Shortly thereafter the PO called me to let me know all this ... I discounted his gloating tone that this "kid" had found/fixed the non starting problem and I wished him well with his last and only VW, a diesel Rabbit daily driver.

Several weeks later he called again to report that _______, the PP owner had sent him a check for several hundred dollars more. He told the PO the van was in much better shape that what he thought it would be in and he felt it was worth more than the $500 that he originally paid!

Maybe the bad press and rap he got from the Melissa saga has sunk in and he has developed a better business conscience. Maybe.

Anyway, I have dealt with PP in the past and have refrained from doing so since "Melissa". I may decide to do some mail order with them but only when no other list vender part is competitive and available. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-- Stephen Chillicothe OH