Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Sep 2002 00:09:39 -0400
From:         alan barber <barb2375@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Eurovans future

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 23:06:01 +0100 From: Anthony Polson <acpolson@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Eurovans future

I'm not sure what the original message was about, but it's safe to say that the Eurovan's future is pretty much over. They are no longer being made.

Then I read Tony's diatribe,

>No doubt, in the USA, the economic downturn after 9/11/2001 played a big >part in the slow sales of 2001 Eurovans, and that's probably why your dealer >still has 2001 models available.

Huh? Eurovan sales have been steadily climbing since early 2001. Sales are up many hundreds of percent over the same period in 2000. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that the 2002 sales are up like 400% from this time last year.

>Compared to the Vanagon, the Eurovan has less room inside, a harder ride and >a noisy powertrain. On the plus side, it has a more modern engine with >lower fuel consumption, slightly better handling and spare parts that are >common with many contemporary VW cars. To add a personal comment, it is in >my opinion one of the most dull and boring vehicles that VW has ever >produced.

Ok, this gets pretty hilarious. First off, the Eurovan has 201 cubic feet of interior space. Hey, waddya know, that's the same amount of space in a Vanagon! A noisy powertrain? Yeehaa! I've got news for you, the later model Eurovans are far quieter than the Vanagon. A harder ride? Neither is plush, but hey, they are trucks deep down and not car based vans.

And dull and boring is severely objective. If you find sitting on the side of the road exciting, or planning trips around where the good mechanics reside interesting, or simply if wondering just what the heck is going to break next seems like solving a puzzle to you, then a Vanagon is a great choice. If dull and boring means getting where you want to go without any of that kind of stress, combined with awesome climate control and the ability to tow, I'll go for dull and boring.

>In the UK, used T4s (Eurovans) of 1991-3 vintage now sell for less than used >T25s (Vanagons) with comparable milage and in similar condition. If that >doesn't say something, I don't know what does!

Having lived in London, I'd say you're making this part up. The most popular of all the vans amongst VW lovers is definitely the loaf. By far. Vanagons are pretty rare. Nearly all the T4s I saw were commercial vehicles. But life over there is very different from here. Small cars are valued and pretty nearly the only thing that will fit in many intown parking garages. It's a very different attitude towards transport. For more of a real life comparison for citizens of North America, try looking at vehicles in the US and Canada.

>As to reliability, I would expect that a new Eurovan would be a lot better >than a (minimum) ten-year-old Vanagon, but like-for-like comparisons cannot >be made.

Compare a 91 Vanagon with a 93 Eurovan. There's a reasonably fair comparison. There may be a couple of years between them, but you are talking about a mature vehicle vs. a first year vehicle so that levels it a bit.

>I make no apologies for presenting a personal view. As you will have >realised by now, I'm no fan of the Eurovan!

I've had one of just about every type of aircooled VW. A 68 Fastback, 69 Squareback, 68 Ghia, 71 Ghia convertible, 69 Bug Convertible, 71 bug, 59 single cab pickup, 69 bus, and 78 Westy. My favorite by far was the 78 Westy. I bought it in 82 and just sold it last year. The Eurovan is my first watercooled VW. It's been time for the Eurovan for quite a while. I skipped the Vanagon years because several of my friends bought them and had an enormous amount of problems. Expensive, quirky, repeated problems. The 78 was rock solid and never caused me any real problems, but I really needed air conditioning and the ability to tow. I also got a real heater, better fuel mileage, a lot more versatlity, and a more useful cargo area. It also pollutes less and is a lot quieter and smoother. I don't think that there's a thing that the 78 did better, except maybe it was cheaper.

Just the opinion of a man that isn't afraid of change.

Az -- AH#56