Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:10:18 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure light problem
Comments: To: william urban <whsu@WEBTV.NET>

You should have the .9 bar sensor near the oil pump. Some dealers will sell you the 1.8 or 1.6 instead. BTDT

Larry A.

william urban wrote: > > Hi, > > I used to be on this list 3 or 4 years ago and thought I would get back > on mainly because of a problem I'm having with my '91 Carat Vanagon. > Hopefully somebody knows the solution to this problem. > > A few months ago I discovered that oil was leaking out of my van at an > alarming rate. It was leaking so bad that it would cover the back > window. A local general car repair place told me it was the oil pump > gasket. They quoted me an arm an a leg so I decided I would try to fix > it myself and put it on the back burner. > > When I finally got around to working on it I discovered that the oil > leak was at the oil pressure sending unit by the oil filter. So I > changed the fitting, gasket, and the sending unit. The leak stopped but > then after driving 10-20 miles the oil light/ buzzer started coming on > at 2200 rpm. > > I bought another sending unit(genuine VW) with the same result. I > changed the other sending unit(VW) by the pushrods and also the oil > cooler gasket. I did some of the procedures in the Bentley( > disconnecting the high pressure unit-no ground and disconnectng the low > pressure unit and grounding it and they worked). I swapped out the > dynamic oil pressure control unit behind the speedometer with one out of > a '91 fox but that didn't help. > I changed the oil and filter. I currently have Castrol sae 40 and a > genuine VW oil filter. > I also changed out the oil pressure relief valve(spring,piston, and > gasket). I checked the crankcase breather it's not clogged. > > This van has 122k on it. I've owned since 95k. It has an auto trans and > the original 2.1. Before the oil leak problem the light never came on. > Now I start it , the engine sounds normal, and it drives fine. After > driving about 10 -20 miles highway speeds (55-70) if I let the rpm's hit > 2100-2300 for 5-10 seconds the light/buzzer come on above that-OK , > below that-OK. It doesn't run hot or sound funny. > > Is my engine or oil pump shot or is there hopefully another solution? > Sorry about the length of this posting but the details matter. Any > helpful responses are greatly appreciated. > > Frustrated and desperate, > Bill Urban > Belleville, Illinois