Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:18:41 -0500
From:         Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW obscene parts pricing
Comments: To: "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>

But in most cases, after the list vendor's get done with you in shipping and handling the price you would have paid at the dealer would have been close, and you could have had the part right now, as well as been able to examine it to be sure it is the correct item. I find it much more convenient and less problematic when a return comes into reality. I do not like returning parts via the web.

However, yes some VW items are much more expensive than on line vendor's. But how long do you want to be parked?

This is the question.

Fred

E-mail message

On two occasions in the last few months I went to the parts counter at the local VW dealer for minor trim items. When they told me the price, I said no (each of these parts was under $25 and available from the on-line vendors). The counter person then said 'How about...? and came up with a price (including local sales tax) that was very close to what I would pay with online ordering plus shipping. In each case I said yes and purchased. It seems that at least at this dealer the staff has some 'wiggle room' on the prices. I have also compared prices on the same VW part at two of the VW dealers in the area, and found more than a 20% difference in the quoted price. In that cas they were still way above the on-line vendors and I ordered on-line. (more expensive items in this case)