Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Sep 2002 23:53:24 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot Rant

> In a message dated 9/7/02 2:15:38 PM, vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM writes: > > << This simple step will get any problem solved promptly, courteously, and > with my apologies. Ranting won't. >> > > In this case it seems to have worked rather effectively.

Yes, and a hand grenade can effectively exterminate a flea. But this does not make it an appropriate method of killing fleas.

Actually, we rarely (perhaps even never) actually lose a store credit, as we keep a record of all of your purchases, credits, backorders, etc. under your own unique customer file. This is a lot better than most retail stores, which issue you a non-replaceable credit slip or gift card, and if you lose it you're out the money. With us your credit stays on file under your name until you use it, so even if you lose track of the receipt number, email, etc., we should have it on your file. Using the same software, we can also quickly pull up a receipt for your prior purchases, even years later, and even if you've long since lost your receipt. This is the kind of thing a Circuit City or a CompUSA does so you can order duplicate receipts etc. on big ticket purchases. But it's not something that your local auto parts store probably does. We've been using this software for about two years now, and it works great. (Okay, it did crash once and lost a few older receipt records, but no store credits as they were backed up.)

In a case where a credit, prior purchase, etc doesn't come up, it's almost certainly because you've ended up with two different customer accounts. Each afternoon, we run a custom-written utility that matches the name and address on each new web order against those already on file, to link your new order to all of your previous ones so everything will be in one place. It's pretty good, but it's not foolproof. If you place a new order and enter your info slightly differently from the last one (i.e. you use Jim instead of James, or a different address), the software doesn't find a match so it creates a new customer account for you. Then you have purchases (or credits) under two different accounts. This means the clerk must look for a second account if he can't find the credit or purchase under the first account he finds. In that event case you can save a bit of hassle by referencing the invoice number of the original purchase (or saving the email if the credit was offered that way). But even in such a case, the record will almost certainly be found, once the clerk checks and discovers that Jim Smith of 123 E. 3rd St. is also on file as James Smith of 123 East Third Street.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT