Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:29:52 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: alaska trip sugg.
Comments: To: Zapvw@AOL.COM

Andy Zappe wrote:

> looking to plan a trip from tx to alaska next june. any suggestions would be > helpful. will take about 4 weeks.

Fantastic trip. One you and your folks will never forget.

Get online, find and buy a copy of "The MilePost". It is the definitive guide for travel to Alaska. Has a mile by mile description of everything. Also has maps for the access routes to Dawson Creek, in Canada where the Alaska Highway begins. All travelers driving to Alaska always converge there. There is no other way, whether you start in the East, Middle America, or West. All routes to Alaska will converge at Dawson Creek.

The MilePost will, inaddition to the sights to see, provide you with information as to where to get gas, vehicle service, food, lodging, emergency medical services, etc, etc. I would not make that trip with out it. It's a paperback book that is updated and published every year. Cost is about $25 but worth the investment

As for the highway itself it is mostly paved. When I first went ot Alaska back in 1968 it was 1450 miles of dirt, clay and gravel. Blew out 5 tires. Broke both head lights and got several pretty chunky bulls-eyes on my windsheild from rocks flung by passing traffic. much better today. When I say paved, don't think superhighway. It is not. It is more like a gravel topped secondary paved county road. Better than dirt, but not much. Does allow running a just a little higher speed. Even so, pay close attention to your tires. Everytime you stop for gas, be sure you check the tires for damage, and proper air. That highway still will eat tires not properly inflated.

You will find road construction is a constant, and there will be long sections - up to 25 miles at a time when there will be no pavement, and it will be rough and the driving slow, but overall the driving will be good.

Since the 9/11 episode things have changed. Do not treat Canada like an extension of the USA. Though for the most part the Canadian countrymen are our bretheren, Canada is a foreign country. I strongly suggest that in addition to drivers license and other state ID, insurance papers, credit cards, and cash, have with each of you a US passport. That passport makes a huge difference in the ease of making the passage from South to North and back. With it you have a document that says The United States Government recognizes you officially as an American citizen and you have cleared the State Departments requirements for travel outside the US. It gives more credibility.

Look to the list for other suggestion for what to carry with y ou on such a trip.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver