Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:22:21 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Fridge FUBAR - WORKING!!

Hey Folks,

Let me start with a round of thanks for everybody who replied regarding my refrigerator problem which was caused by my own carelessness.

I was in the middle of trying Alfred Bagdan's suggestion of soldering the errant piezo wire back into the ceramic electrode when my apartment building manager happened in. He was formerly the chief engineer for the Minneapolis downtown YMCA.

His first question, said looking over the top of his glasses, was, "why are you at my workbench?"

I showed him the problem and in true engineering form, he attacked the problem with gusto.

Within an hour i had a new run of high-temp, heavy-duty wire running from the piezo to the electrode. He cleaned out the ceramic and then gently heated it with a propane torch. Once it was good and hot he inserted the pre-soldered wire and it stuck like glue.

I steelwooled the electrode back to bare metal and reassembled everything. I popped the piezo a couple of times while looking in the firebox glass. A bright blue spark was clearly evident, so, with a fierce number of mosquitoes sucking on me, i reinstalled the fridge.

It lit on the first try!

There was a couple of detours where i though i'd cross-threaded the brass propane line nut... and much straining of back and cursing of mouth. But, it's back in... and at this moment chilling some beers for my brief celebration to commence after i send this off.

I sent email to RVMobile on Sunday night on the recommendation of Mark Drillock, and proprietor T.J. Gillmore replied within a short time... saying that he'd check on the part first thing Tuesday. That sure wins the prize for fast service. If he can find the OEM wire and electrode i'll buy it for a spare.

Thanks again to everybody who replied.

Best,

-jspeer '89 Westy GL, "Mystery Machine"