Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Sep 2002 02:35:21 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurovans future (now-vw does not make sportscars)

NB. Nil Vanagon content

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Blake" <blake@OAKHARBOR.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 6:43 PM Subject: Re: Eurovans future (now-vw does not make sportscars)

> Remember the Omni, Colt, > Escort, Fiesta, Corolla, Civic, 323, Justy, Metro, etc? VW is their momma. > Thanks VW for creating a genre of fun driver cars (twice) that can carry > stuff in the back.

Metro? I think you'll find that the original Austin Mini was its Momma, and as for hatchbacks the Austin A40 Farina (early 60's) was the momma of them all! So Austin defined this concept totally, but didn't invest in refining it fast enough (maybe the British disease - as with computers, swing wings, vertical take off fighters - you name it!).

> But handling? The Golf 1 was a handling benchmark. > All subsequent VWs (excepting the T3) were understeering pigs, > and that's the "European" suspensions... the US versions were far worse. > The Mk 1 Golf handled 'nice', but wasn't THAT good. Overall car was perhaps a benchmark, but Peugeot 205 GTI and before that all the Lancia Betas handled better and ride was more comfortable with it.

> VW got lucky on the A1, they designed something that was cheap and easy to > manufacture. Theoretically the suspension design on all fwd vws sucks ass > (Torsion beam WTF? anybody ever heard of A-arms and independent suspension? > not VW).

Torsion WTF indeed? Whaddya saying? Its not the suspension design on fwd's that sucks, its the suspension design that transmutes an inherently understeering vehicle into one that is nominally neutral (by modifying the virtual roll centres, and front to rear roll-centre axis). I've driven quite a few minis that were inherently oversteering cars and in the wrong hands, lethal, so better understand where suspension designers are coming from here - old grannies and litigation, same reason VW never put front lockers on US Syncros. Understeering is an inherently 'stable' state, oversteering isn't!

> Also, ALL front drive cars are understeering pigs to some degree, > think about it, (hint-weight transfer).

Re my comments above, they'd be dangerous if they oversteered in extremis - it's the ability to switch the car's stance from understeering to oversteering and vice versa by judicious steering, braking and power inputs that makes them so fast and delightful in the right hands. Timo Makinen and Paddy Hopkirk just couldn't believe the speeds they were driving their Coooper S's at in '67 and '68 on poor surfaces, as they just didn't seem to be trying that hard or taking big risks - much to Porsche's chagrin - and the French too who decided to disqualify them from the Monte Carlo Rallye after they'd won - for not being to original spec. (they'd settled on their rubber suspension about 1/2" between start and finish - big deal and not especially surprising!).

> Vanagon content...My van doesn't make a good sports car or auto-x car unless > the objective is to run over the cones and spectators at slow lumbering > speeds (thump - pause - thump). However the potential is there, I actually > passed other cars going over Washington pass on the last trip over HWY 20, > amazing.

I agree at last, the potential is there, except that weight is high and hence requires lots of tyre, power and brake. Not exactly 'chuckable' either, but well balanced with plenty of traction.

Clive '88 Syncro Transporter