Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:15:04 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How hard is it to remove exhaust?

In a message dated 9/8/02 7:25:20 PM, Cotsford@AOL.COM writes:

<< Its sounds like I am guaranteed to have some stripped threads ?

Are the fasteners not going to break off rather than strip out ? On other vehicles, I have had to deal with that.

Is there a really really good brand of penetrating oil? >>

Steve,

Who knows? You may have better luck than I, but I have learned to live with bad Karma. I am in the middle of some exhaust work as we speak. In removing the front header my score is: 2 fasteners removed rather tentatively but unstripped; 1 stripped stud hole; one broken stud. I would rather strip the tapping than break a stud. Because, if a stud is stuck with such tenacity that it is wrung off when you are trying to undo the nut, you can be almost certain that no extractor will remove it. When a stud breaks, there is the additional tedious work of drilling it out accurately, whereas, if the hole is stripped, it forms a pilot hole for the Helicoil installation.

The work I am doing revealed a particular bit of nastiness. In redoing the exhaust, someone stripped the 8 MM tapping, retapped it to 10 MM, then stripped the 10 MM tapping. When I found it, it had an 8 MM X 10 MM stepped stud epoxied into the stripped stud hole. There is always something new and interesting with these old Vanagons. Now I have a hole which is way too large for an 8 MM Helicoil and with scant little meat left in the stud boss. I bought a keylocking insert (and a special drill and a special tap and an installation tool and . . .) which I sure as hell hope will do the job. This all started when I noticed one of the exhaust nuts missing from an exhaust flange.

Penetrating oil? I have tried a bunch including Kroil. Too me, it seems that PB Blaster is as good as any and it is readily available. One of the list members (Bulley, I think) wrote of a technique he learned from his grandfather which involved applying penatrating oil and tapping the fastener over a period of time before removal is attempted. Perhaps he would be willing to supply the details.

As I am sorting out a van, such as now, I replace all the fasteners on the exhaust with stainless steel and I use antiseize lubricant. This makes all the difference in the world because it removes all that uncertainty. In fact, I try to replace any unrated fastener which I have to remove with stainless.

Good luck, George