Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:58:14 -0700
From:         Jack <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Headlight upgrade questions
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@CYBERSPACE.ORG>

On 9 Sep 2002, at 22:04, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Jack wrote: > > > But an even more fundamental purpose of fuses is to prevent fires, > > regardless of wire size. Can there be a fire without drawing enough > > current to damage the wire? You bet! The probability of that happening > > can be reduced (but not eliminated) by reducing the fuse size to the > > minimum necessary. > > If you're gong to worry about this, I have something more serious you may > want to think about. A careful look at the wiring diagram in my Bentley > seems to indicate that, at least on my '82 Diesel, much of the wiring has > no fuse protection at all! This includes the fuel solenoid and 'ignition' > switch circuit, and the entire instrument cluster. They're all wired off > the battery side of the fuse panel. I wonder if putting in a master > fusible link would be a good idea?

Could be. At least to minimize the unprotected circuits. I'd guess that as long as the fusible links are reliable & don't cause problems of their own, it could be a good mod. to make. But perhaps there's historical data that says the unprotected circuits rarely if ever cause problems. I don't know. As always, there will be trade-offs between risk, reliability and cost. Automotive electrics is not my specialty, so I'll defer further comment.

> > Someone on this list, a month or two ago, described a situation where he > > discovered a defective wire terminal connection in his vanagon (fuse > > block?). The crimp connection was bad (high resistance) and was heating. > > Ifirc, it was getting close to where it could have started a fire. The > > circuit fuse had not and may not have blown until after a fire was > > initiated (and a true short developed), but by then the fire may have been > > self-sustaining. > > I don't think a fuse will save you there, until something serious starts > to happen. The high-resistance connection, even as it heats up, will > cause *lower* current than usual to be drawn. The fuse will think > everything is peachy-keen.

Possibly. Depends on how long it takes for the carbonization or ionization current paths to reach a ground (or unintended loads) and to begin creating a shunt current (as opposed to a series current). That shunt current is what will take out the fuse, hopefully before a self- sustaining fire has developed. The closer the fuse is to the normal load, the quicker it will go. But you're right, there's no guarantee.

[David, are you a ham? (I'm guessing N8SRE is your call, but I've been out of it so long, I'm not sure.)]

//Jack Cook (W6SGA) '85 GL Original owner