Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:45:01 -0700
From:         Jack <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: wiring harness restoration
Comments: To: Scott Wilson <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

If you want a like new, then I suppose you could make up a new harness, assuming you use the same type (stranded, not solid) & size wire. (automotive hardware, not home hardware!) Ring terminals & such can be recrimped with the right tools but I don't know how easy it would be to redo other pin/socket connectors. Overall, it sounds like a big undertaking. Probably unnecessary.

How bad is the existing harness? Does "beat up in spots" mean bare wire? Is the insulation hard & cracking (bad news)? Is the copper wire itself broken or frayed?

If the wire isn't actually broken and there are only a few bad insulation areas, I'd consider wrapping individual wires with good tape & then restrapping back into the harness. Will look cruddy but it's workable as long as you catch all bare spots. You can then wrap overall, or better, find flexible tubing or similar products to cover sections exposed to wear, heat, etc.

Broken wire can be crimped back together using insulated barrel connectors (sized per wire size) and/or you can crimp in replacement sections as you already suggested. I personally wouldn't mess with solder.

//Jack