Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:09:14 -0400
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Trailer Hitch Storage Box ??

I currently have a large Thule rooftop box that I carry most of my camping gear. After a year of using it I've decided that I don't like it much for several reasons.

1. Its hard to get into....even for me....and I'm 6'8" tall. I carry "two step" ladder all the time.

2. Its very heavy...can't open the pop-top unless its unloaded...even then you need to be pretty strong. (Haven't noticed any handling problems though).

3. It's always on and loaded, so fuel mileage suffers unnecessarily during daily driving.

4. The mounting brackets have a tendency to work loose....so I have to watch closely and tighten the brackets periodically.

I''ve seen a lot of storage options for trailer hitch mounted boxes that hang off the rear end and wonder how that would work on a Vanagon. My van is already a heavy Syncro Westy but the Subaru engine pulls the weight nicely (although with a mileage penalty)

This type of hitch mounted box seems to have a lot of advantages over a rooftop box for access and storage when not needed.

But I'm wondering how having that extra weight hanging off the back end would effect the van's handling on the road. Does anyone have any experience with this type of hitch mounted box on the back of a Vanagon. (Looking for experience please....speculation doesn't help me much.)

I like the idea that a storage box could remain loaded with camping gear but go in the garage except when needed for trips. Even found one that has drop down legs and wheels as part of its mount, to make it easy to roll about.

Warren Chapman 90 Syncro Westy/Subaru powered