Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:15:39 +0100
From:         Anthony Polson <acpolson@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurovans future (etc...)

Hi Andrew,

The answer to the Austin A40/Hillman Imp conundrum is as follows:

The early 1960s Austin A40 was the world's first hatchback. It wasn't just the rear window that opened, it was a whole rear door. Or hatch. Except that people didn't know the word "hatchback" at that time.

The Hillman Imp was the car with the opening rear window, which gave access to a small trunk (luggage compartment). The window had a chromed steel frame. The Sunbeam Stiletto, which had sporty "fastback" styling, had a fixed rear window set at a shallower angle than that of the Hillman Imp. The Stiletto had twin carbs for a little more power.

There was also a "Hillman Imp Californian" which had the same bodyshell as the Sunbeam Stiletto but the lower power engine from the standard Imp. The previous "Californian" was a high-trim version of the larger Hillman Minx so the Imp word was included to avoid confusion. <g> Like the Stiletto, the Imp Californian had a fixed rear window.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding - what Chris said on here was correct.

In the 1980s I was the proud owner of a Ginetta G15 which was a two-seater sports car with Imp mechanicals. The engine was stroked to 998cc; this plus twin carbs and ultra-light GRP body meant that the G15 simply flew!

The Imp/G15 engine was a Coventry Climax design. This company made racing car engines as well as some more prosaic products for industry.

By the standard of the 1960s, the Imp engine produced high power for its 875cc capacity. The engine design was directly descended from a 660cc four cylinder engine that was originally used in fire pumps.

My family owned Hillmans for many years and I learnt to drive in a 1973 Chrysler Super Imp. I passed my driving test (in 1974) in a Hillman Avenger.

The Super Imp was a great car with only one real weakness; the plugs used to foul after a week's use in stop-start traffic. Every week, I used to take the car for a 70mph burn along a local motorway (freeway) and the plugs would clear within minutes.

By 1974 the Imp's notorious quality control problems had been ironed out. Our family's Imp was a superbly reliable and economical car. The early pneumatic throttle (gas pedal) had been replaced in later versions with a cable linkage, which worked well, and so did the gearchange (stick shift).

In fact the gearchange was at least as good as that in contemporary Beetles. As in the Vanagon, it needed to be kept well lubricated. (Note obligatory Vanagon content!)

Best regards,

Tony

1984 Vanagon Reimo

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx