Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:12:43 -0400
From:         Colin Stanfield <cstan@IFP.ORG>
Subject:      Overheating in Manhattan

List,

I've been driving around with my front grill off for a few weeks now loosening the front bleeder every time I stop to get more air bubbles out (recently replaced a few coolant hoses and changed the coolant). I had been doing the various list recommended tricks (park on a hill, have a friend rev the engine, add coolant, etc.) but my van was still running hot. Sometimes getting into the 3/4 range.

Last night while driving around in Manhattan, the red light started blinking and the gauge pinned. I pulled into a gas station, bought some pre-mixed coolant (probably the wrong kind), parked on a hill and had a friend run the engine while I added about a quart to the reservoir (not the expansion tank). I let the van cool somewhat, then topped up the expansion tank.

I started driving again and the van was at about 3/4. I was briefly on a stretch of highway and the gauge came down to normal (about half). Turning back into the city, and stopping at lights, the light came back on and the gauge went to the top again. I stopped and looked for leaks. No leaks. The coolant fan was blowing loudly. Because it was dark, I couldn't see whether the reservoir was empty, but I feel like it probably was. It seems to be working.

Anyway, I was with my girlfriend who's patience for these "breakdowns" was growing thin. She convinced me to call AAA and have the van towed. When the driver arrived, I asked if his garage could fix my overheating problem and he seemed happy to oblige.

Now I'm worried. I don't know anything about this garage and I wonder whether they have the type of diagnostic experience to trouble shoot my problem. What should I tell them to look for? It seems to me from reading the archives it could be (in order of severity):

1) Continued air in system 2) Faulty thermostat 3) Faulty water pump 4) Obstruction in coolant hose and or leak in hose connection allowing air into system 5) Faulty sensor for turning on coolant fan 6) Old and clogged radiator 7) Combustion gases getting into coolant system due to faulty head gasket

I'm a parking lot mechanic with limited tools and not much direct experience with Vanagons. I'm not afraid of much mechanically but I'm incredibly busy at work right now and actually welcome the thought (at this point) of someone else fixing my van. I'm worried about the $$ though. What should I tell the shop when they start getting into my 17 year old van?(85 auto tran 1.9)

Thanks for the Advice

Cheers,

Colin