Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:16:54 -0700
From:         dave bowers <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>
Subject:      junkyard finds

Hey Folks,

I just got back from another trip to some local u-pull-it wrecking yards, and came upon some more good deals.

Today I scored:

1. trailer hitch, complete with ball off a 1980 Vanagon. $6.00 2. Florescent dome light out of a Carat. $ 10.00 3. 2 black cup holders out of a 1990 Carat $5.00 4. Black rubber floor mats, $5.00

All in all, not too bad for $26.00. I would have paid *far* more, for them new, online. There are lots of good deals to be had, and gems to be found, one just has to look for them. On that note, I thought I would pass one some decent parts deals.

In Portland, Oregon, on SE Foster road, there is a VW Auto Salvage shop. The have a TON of VW parts. Cars and Vans. On the Vanagon side they have:

Maroon 1990 Vanagon GL (majorly &!^%@$# up from head on crash). However, it has lots of good parts left on in, including nice heated maroon side mirrors, left and right and full central/front AC. It has grey valour interior too.

3 or 4 tan on brown, 1980 - 1984 Vanagons, 1 tan on red, 1 tan on yellow one cool, 1984 cream on blue (cream upper, sky blue lower) with stock, black interior, including captains chairs. Chairs seems very salvageable and the black side panels seemed ok too. The had old round buses, new Jettas, Cabriolets and Corrodos too. I can't remember their name.

Finally, I also visited another salvage lot, called "Foster Auto Parts", on SE Foster Blvd. These guys have their act together, and are a semi self serve u pull lot. You tell them what you need, and they drive you out in to the lot, drop you off ... and come back for you later. Easy to use.

This lot had 1 1991 Maroon GL, with many good parts, a 1990 Maroon Carat, complete with 1 rear jump seat, AC & ducting, grey plastic side molding and grey folding table. I scored 2 cup holders out of this one. It also has 2 nice headed maroon side mirrors. Bad year for Maroon Vanagons!

There was also a white, 1986 Vangon GL, with cool black interior too. Front seats were gone (the whole front end had been cut off), however the rear seat and black side panels were still there.

Finally, they had a wealth of Eurovans, 5 or 6 with 1 white EuroVan Westy, complete with pop top. I didn't look too closely at the available parts (front seats & poptop were still available), and it was a weekender version. No appliances.

Spoze that's all. Just wanted to pass on a few local finds.

Cheers,

dave bowers Portland, Oregon 1986 Westy "HMS Beagle" http://www.dave-bowers.com/vw