Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:37:29 -0500
From:         "Daniel J. Hein" <flambeau@PCTCNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: 84 Vanagon Starter problem
Comments: To: Jack <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET>

What the heck is it with these Volkswagen starters? I have had the hot start problem recur with new Bosch starters (back in the day with my '77 Westy), with remanufactured by Bosch starters, with Napa, CarQuest, whatever they have...IT DON'T MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE!!! I have used the relay and that does help, but when it doesn't you have to replace the fuse in the relay (so mount the thing where it will be handy to get at). I have mounted pushbuttons in the engine compartment (don't mind me, folks, those of you backed up behind me on this hill at the stop light...my engine killed and I have to get out and try my circa 1940 pushbutton starter in my engine compartment...oh, and my emergency brake is poor, so better back up while I try to stick this block behind my wheel as I jump out of the van) I've heard the theory about the corroded wires and the long wiring runs and the old ignition switches...my Westy had its first hot start problem when it was just 4 years old. Sometimes 10 gauge wire on a 2 foot run to the pushbutton can't pull enough current to activate that solenoid. Go ahead and put in an extra battery. It won't matter. I have driven old cars most of life, cars 15 to 20 years old (and I have one 62 years old that I must admit cranks very slowly when it is hot, but at least it cranks, and it is 6 volt), and I have been driving legally since 1962, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles, and in all that time I have replaced the starter in non-Volks about 3 times total.

As I posted earlier, my current solution is to get a small plastic bag filled with ice (should this happen at a gas station and not at an interstate rest area) and crawl under the van and place the icebag on the solenoid. Should you try this put your hand on that solenoid...you will be amazed how hot the thing is, and how fast that ice melts. This has me going in about 15 minutes, but what a pain.

I noticed in the box with my latest Bosch starter was a coupon/certificate for free towing for 2 years if the van won't start. I bet that starter will more than pay for itself in a convoluted way, but this is a problem the rest of the automotive world solved about the time things went to 12 volt forty years ago.

I don't get it.

Dan