Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:45:10 EDT
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: missing wire at distributor? and timing question

Clive,

Who's Joe King?

With the US market DJ 1.9L we're looking at something like 82HP in factory fresh, perfect condition and that was 17 years and many miles ago for most of us. I've read posts claiming up to a 10HP gain by advancing the timing but I haven't seen any dyno results to prove it. The less accurate butt-meter tells me there is an increase but we're still nowhere near your 112HP. You might be able to advance your timing some but from your comment about 'plonk green gas' (that sounds bad) you're probably limited by compression ratio and gas quality. If I had 112 ponies under the pedal I wouldn't be monkeying with my timing.

I believe Jay has a stock engine and ECU. Other than the timing all I have done to mine is polish the throttle body throat, install Bosch Platinium +4's and a K & N air filter, replaced my rotten exhaust system with cleaned up, port matched, ceramic coated stock pipes and a Dynaflow muffler. The engine definitely has more scoot than it did when I started. The Boston Bob/Ken Wilford chip and some 1.25:1 rockers are looking pretty tempting.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'