Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:00:14 -0600
From:         Mike Blotz <Mike.Blotz@PEARLIZUMI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Comments on Splittie

hey--I drive a splitty almost everyday--haha--call me crazy. And it happens to be a 66. ya gotta remember that these things were designed in "47 and changed little to "67. yes--they are underpowered--but not as grossly underpowered as the vanagon in my opinion. the engines were designed by porche to be reliable and cheap to maintain (something the wasserboxer only dreams of). they were designed as a utility vehicle first and formost--kind of like all the ford F350 deisel dually's you see at the malls these days--haha. They were never really intended to do long freeway travels as people of the more modern eras require there cars to do. That--and interstates didnt really exist. I agree--they are dangerous on the interstate cause of speed limitations. but when I drive my splitty--whats the hurry. i drive it for the experience and stick to the backroads. And i have no desire to travel the country in my split (enter my vanagon syncro)

ok--the brakes--properly adjusted brakes are very adequet--gotta remember they are vintage 66. ever try to stop a 66 muscle car--not an easy task either. I live nine miles up with 3200 ft elevation gain on a twisty mountain road. i've never had a brake issue--just gotta hang back from the car in front of you. If I want to drive a sports car--I drive the sports car (enter my 68 karmann ghia--absolute dream to drive in the mountains). Gotta remeber that these are not self adjusting brakes--gotta manually do it every so often.

if VW hadnt revolutionized the automotive world with the microbus release in "49--there would be no vanagon today. And what a shame that would be--I love my aircooleds--and have had a couple wasserboxers as well--both have there merits. I know i'm kind of a strange one and love to drive my vintage stuff--as a hobbiest--not a cheap skate. over the years I've had 74 super beetle (first car) 71 fastback, 81 jetta, 70 karmann ghia, 89 vanagon syncro GL, 67 baja bug, 70 bug, 71 bug, 87 syncro for a couple months (was selling it for a out of state friend), 66 split, 68 karmann ghia, and my newly aquired 87 syncro GL. Thats just my $.02. I didnt mean to offend--and hopefully I didnt. just gotta look at the history of things and the general timeline of how things came to be within the cultures of the time. But--yes--i find the minds at VW very funny sometimes.

wow--that turned out long--sorry