Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:15:36 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Solving disc brake noises!
Comments: To: dave bowers <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>

Steps to follow for noise free disc brakes.

1. Verify surface condition or rotors. As long as there are no sharp edges they can be reused. NEVER turn rotors. If they have glazing or rough or sharp edges in any way, replace them.

2. Verify rotor thickness. If they are within 1/2 mm of minimum, replace them.

3. Use a wire brush and brake cleaner to get the calipers clean. Primarily the side slots the edges of the pads ride against.

4. Use Textar, ATE or VW pads. Never use metallics. Non-metalic PBR Deluxe pads also are OK.

5. With used rotors, use a file to bevel the upper and lower edges of the pads so they will not ride on the wear ridge of the rotors.

6. Use 80 grit emory cloth to scour the surfaces of the rotors. Helps the pads break in.

7. When trying to solve noise and reusing worn pads, scour the friction surface to take the shine off them.

8. Use the special Sta-Lube synthetic brake grease (high temp non-migrating) on the metal sides of the pads, the top of the pads where the spreader spring rides, on the retaining pins, and on the back of the pads where they contact the caliper pucks and/or frame. If backing plates are original for the application, put a film of this special grease on both sides of the plates. You need more than a thin film, but certainly not gobs of lube. Be very careful not to get any of this lube anywhere on the friction surfaces.

9. Break in new pads properly. Drive at 50mph. Use the brakes to quickly reduce speed to 30mph. Drive a half a mile to cool the brakes, then repeat 10 times. What this does is heat the pads sufficiently to drive off the adhesive volatiles holding the fiber matrix together without overheating, and mate the new pads to the rotors.

10. Flush and bleed the system yearly with DOT 4 fluid. This will stop flex hoses from swelling and caliper pucks and master cylinders from sticking or leaking. Don't forget to flush and bleed the clutch as well for the same reason.

In hundreds of brake jobs over the past 10+ years, I've only had two come back for squeaks using this procedure. One was a case where the rotors were worn to a point just a hair wider than minimum. The other was a case where the vehicle was being driven daily on a very dusty road and dried up the lube.