Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:54:41 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Comments on Splittie (underpowered... not)

>I tend to think that this particular 66 isn't that under powered. >I only drove it about 30 miles but it seems to move at least as good as >my 83 that has a new engine. >Somebody spent boo-koos on this van before they split it in a divorce. >It has been converted to 12v, it has a super oil cooler, it has a remote >oil filter, it has the extension oil pan that holds an extra 2.5 quarts >(with a 110v oil warmer), its running the late model type 2 transmission >and drive axles (reduction gears removed) , it had dual port heads and

I wouldn't consider the T1 1600 underpowered at all.

I put a single-port 1600 (bored 1300) into my 57 Panel, still with split trans, and it performed strongly. On occasion I'd give it a burst to 80mph (premetric speedo) on overtaking, and it got to that speed quite quickly.

I put this engine into my 66 later. The taller gearing of the late tunnel trans meant somewhat slower acceleration, but as with the 57, 60mph was a comfortable cruising speed on long trips.

I never had a worry about taking these vans for 1200mi-plus trips (once I replaced the 57's 36-horse, that is!).

The unloaded 57 handled with geat style on tight twisty roads, with heaps of bodyroll, inside rear wheel way up in the air, rear end hanging out in oversteer. Never gave me a scare though, always predictable, and I cornered it HARD. Loaded, it was quite neutral.

The empty 66 handled rather well, and oversteer was not an issue. Cornering was fairly flat, not much bodyroll. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut