Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:54:41 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Comments on Splittie (steering, noise)

>You had the one, eh? ;) The steering mechanism on those old buses just >had too many pivot points in it. When I got my Vanagon I couldn't believe >how tight the steering was.

The two! Maybe I was lucky. I doubt the center pivot had ever been replaced. But I did look into the possibility of putting a Golf I rack into the Bay... too much trouble, as the pitman arms are behind the stubaxles, so requiring multiple U-joints in the steering shaft.

>Oh, yeah, it's great. I liked how you could get different wrist angles by >changing where you gripped the wheel. It was very relaxing on long trips, >sort of like resting your hands on a tabletop.

Yup... I'd hold the front part of the wheel and rest my arms on the sides otr rear part. more comfortable than it looked, by far.

>Mine was noisy as heck, but a lot of that was because the wood beam in the >front of the pop-top had warped. It wouldn't seat properly when latched >and caught a lot of wind.

Mine weren't campers, so wind noise wasn't a problem. The 57 was pretty noisy; the 66 a bit less so, probably due to having rear seats and somewhat takler gearing (lower rpm). They had an extractor, so the exhaust had a really nice note, sort of a growly howl. Not the stock whistle overlying a dak-dak noise.

>I thought the 75's brakes were okay when the rears were properly adjusted. >They'd only stay properly adjusted for maybe two weeks, though.

I had my 75's brakes completely overhauled. Still poor. Mum's 75 Scirocco TS also had crappy brakes. Part of the problem may have been pad material (lost the TS's going down a long hill once, had to turn the ignition off and wind it down through the gears to stop!). I put metal pads in the Bay, but still not good. These pads are good in our diesel Toyota sedans, though! All the taxis here use them (Bendix Metal King). -- Regards Andrew