Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:29:49 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      [FIX] Front Heater Switch - Caution

I just replaced the front blower switch on my 88 GL. The motor would run only on the "HI" position and you could hear it trying in the other two, but it just would not run. I wasn't sure certain it was the switch, but I figured it was the cheapest way. I could have tried the rear heater switch in its place first but didn't think abou it until I had already ordered the switch from Camelback.

1) I simply to pulled the switch knob out. The knob is made with a stem and it just sticks down into the switch. Easy to pull out.

2) Knob removal - CAUTION!! I pulled on the lever knobs but they would not come loose initially. I rolled up the van windows and parked in the sun for a while. The interior got hot, and the slide knobs softened. Then I wiggled them left and right until they came loose. They are tight. CAUTION. READ THE LAST LINE - ITEM 8 Befoe proceeding with this process!!!!!

3) I pryed with a screwdriver around the edge of the slide panel and the panel popped loose. It is held in place by two pegs, one in the bottom left, one in the top right.

Caution. There is a small light attached to the panel with wires. Don't pull to hard or you could tear something loose.

4) With the panel hanging by the wires, I inserted a common screwdrive into the right edge of the switch and got under a little flat metal spring, depressed it and pulled out the switch.

5) On the back of the switch was a female plug. I used a screwdriver to carefully work the plug off the tines of the switch.

6) The new switch was inserted into the female plug and the assembly pushed back in place in the dash.

7) The heater controls panel was reinstalled.

8) CAUTION - At this point the knobs were to be re-installed. I installed three and then I noticed on the very top one a tiny bit of lighter color on the ends of the slide controls. Very close inspection with a manifying glass revealed that the light spots were where SOMETHING HAD BEEN BROKEN OFF.

Was I UPSET!! Those light spots were where tiny little tangs had been which holds those knobs securely in place. There are also tangs on the bottom of the levers as well. But the top ones on my van I had broken off inadvertently, and now my knobs don't want to stay on. So be careful with you knobs. If you ned to remove them use a hair dryer to warm them up. I evidently had not gotten them warm enough.

Question to the List. Anyone have any ideas how to get those knobs to stay put, now that I have broken off the tangs?

TIA.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver