Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:45:59 -0500
From:         "Filcoff, David M." <FilcoffD@MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Comments on Splittie (brake circuits)

Splits through '66 were single circuit, the '67 was dual circuit. A dual circuit MC can be fitted without too much trouble.

FWIW my Split is a '61 Standard, 6v 40hp 1192cc motor, single circuit brakes. It's slow, the brakes are not the best and the handling is below average in comparison to my other VWs. However I enjoy it and do not see these as drawbacks, they are part of the personality. I can cruise at 55 mph, it will go faster but I don't. Hills are challenging and it does not go on interstates. I don't know if it is underpowered, I personally would not want much power in a split window, something tells me they were not designed to go very fast.

Dave 251.org 87 Vanagon 61 Microbus 88 GTI

>Question: are those single circuit brakes or dual circuit? > >Just curious. BIG topic of discussion on another list recently.

It would probably be a cinch to fit a Bay (split-circuit) mastercylinder to a Split. As well as the front beam, with balljoints & discs.