Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:40:41 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Political eruption, Bulley Style; was Vanagons for Peace
Comments: To: gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM

Seems that things are getting pretty deep here guys. You know I can't say out of it. Arab nations export oil. Arab nations aren't farmers so Arab nations import almost everything they consume in the areas of food items. They don't manufacture much of anything. (looks like they might do well in the glass business though.) America exports food, mainly grains, poultry, horse meat (yes bunches). We mainly import Oil and many, many useless things that are only luxuries and many, many times near junk when new. When people returned from Alaska after working on the pipeline and large construction projects, many went back to Alaska to live. I've had many friends that worked in the Arab nations during the early to late 70s and not a single person went back to live. They just weren't welcome, even if they wanted. The Arab Nations are a completely different culture .............. you figure it out and let us know.

Stan Wilder

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:58:40 -0400 "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> writes: > In the final analysis, there is only one reason for the > Administration's > fixation with Iraq. Insurance on the flow of cheap oil. > > There would be no such thing as "terrorist attacks on the US" if we > weren't trying to force our beloved democracy down the throat of > every > nation where there is a natural resource we want to keep cheap. > > Middle Eastern terrorists aren't inflamed for "no particular > reason"... > it is because the US is bound and determined to shape policy and > governance in the Middle East so we can keep our cheap oil. Wouldn't > you > be peeved if, for example, Brazil was militarily forcing its > political > will in the US? Wouldn't you be tempted to take some wacky action > to > hurt Brazil? Duh. Why don't Americans get this? > > If the US weren't addicted to cheap oil, if we could bear $8 gallon > gasoline because we had walkable towns, and fast trains, Saddam > Hussein > would be just another corrupt, power-hungry dictator, preparing for > war > on his neighbors, and we'd read about it in the papers. Other > countries > with better land use and smarter transportation systems don't want > to > get involved in Dubya's "war", because they don't rely as heavily > on > cheap oil. They don't have a dog in the fight, and consequently > they'd > rather read about it in the paper. > > Since we Americans demand fresh salad greens in January from 3,000 > miles > away, and we love Wal*Mart, whose scam on America is completely > reliant > on cheap oil to get those cut-rate drills and chintzy sweaters from > China to the crappy grey box near you, our kids will die to keep our > oil > cheap. And you thought that little yellow smiley was fueling the > cheaper > prices. Watch what happens to Wal*Mart when fuel prices do spike, > (and > they will eventually). > > Bottom line: we're the one's with the addiction. We're the one's who > should have to pay the price, or should have to develop better land > use > policies, and transportation options that cut our per capita oil > consumption 85%. That would put our oil consumption on par with > most > other countries in the world. Or we can keep asking for plums in > February for $.89 a pound at Wal*Mart, and raise an extra kid or two > to > send to Dubya's perpetual war for cheap oil. Reality. > > Developing business and guiding change since 1996, > > G. Matthew Bulley > Bulley-Hewlett > Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com > AIM = IExplain4u > Phone: +1.919.658.1278 > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On > Behalf > Of Andy Mahler > Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 1:03 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Vanagons for Peace > > friends > this is the first item I have posted to this list > (other than a request for help from my Wolfy-driving cousin who was > passing > through) > My wife and I have three Vanagons, all Westys, two '84s and an '88 > We got our first Vanagon in 1991, the same year I helped organize > what has since grown into an eighteen state regional cooperative > network > of local, grassroots forest protection organizations called > Heartwood. > > I mention this because my wife and I have spent a lot of time in > our > vanagons > in every one of those states, hooking up with the good, caring, > hard-working local folks who > sometimes alone, and sometimes with a handful of friends, > organized among their neighbors > to stop the careless and wanton destruction of the remnant hardwood > forests > of the East, Midwest, and South (heartland + hardwood = Heartwood). > Our Vanagons have taken us down some windy-ass driveways in the > Ozarks > and the Appalachians, from Mississippi to Minnesota, and from > Missouri > to > Maryland, > from the mean streets of big cities to the most rugged and remote > rural > areas, > the Vanagon has proven itself, time and again, the most useful beast > in > the > barnyard. > > We always had a place to sleep, even when broken down by the road in > the > middle of nowhere--- > and when you're in this line of work, the great thing is you're > never > more > than a couple of hours > from someone who will come get you, help get your vehicle back on > the > road, > feed you a great meal, > and set you up in a beautiful place for the night-- and, the next > day > they > take you to the most beautiful forest, or a wild free-flowing river, > or > some other sweet precious spot that gives them solace and strength > in a > crazy old world. > > I am on a lot of lists, none of which get as much traffic as this > one > I am beginning to recognize names and personalities > and wish to say > thank you for the generosity in sharing wisdom and experience and > spare > parts > for good advice and good laughs > for your devotion to these contraptions and their many admirable > qualities > and of course their idiosyncrasies > long life to them all, and to you > > I don't spend as much time on the road as i used to > spending more and more at this computer > in the woods here in southern Indiana > > I'm going to go on digest mode for a while (too much to read as it > is) > but I wanted to post this message before I do > > and now, to the point > > to me the Vanagon is not just a conveyance > it is a political tool > > a remarkable utilitarian expression of personal transportation and > self-sufficiency > > (those who do not wish to read a political opinion are advised to > discontinue reading now) > > Times are getting tough and people are carrying a lot of stress > The political situation is getting ugly and the bill of rights is > getting > constricted and eroded > > I may bring down coyote's wrath, but I just have to ask > > Won't you all please take some action, small or large, soon, > > > TO STOP THIS INSANE WAR!!! > > > > > > > Thanks for listening > thanks for caring > thanks for whatever you choose to do > > and thanks to TomC and Coyote for moderation > > peace > > @ > andy >