Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Sep 2002 04:04:55 -0700
From:         Tromper <evilpig@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternate fuels
Comments: To: Vanagon man <vgonman@msn.com>

In the hindenburg the flames went up, relatively few lost their lives vs a modern wreck. There have been prototype automobiles built, indeed GM holds many patents for fuel systems tanks etc last I checked a few years ago.

As noted refuel stations are not currently in the picture, I can conceive several different ways to approach that and I'm sure that a real engineer could do much better.

Natural Gas and/or Methane are ones I had not considered though I am aware of the existence of the former (bad cruise range et al) and the potential of the later..in fact some beans, and a pipe..oops bad thought bad thought....Too many surges in the system ya know :oP

I suspect you'd have to change your seals at least for that, perhaps even the gasket on the motor if blow by was much of an issue.

Does anybody know if methane would be a better compression engine model or simply use a spark since it's so nice and volatile.

JT

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon man [mailto:vgonman@msn.com] Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 3:51 AM To: Tromper Subject: Re: Alternate fuels

Are you talking about Natural gas? I know you said hydrogen, but this is still not practical....The storage tank is one of the main problems this has, as well as refueling places. Remember the Hindenburg?

Adam P 81 Westy "The Brick " 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg 75 Campmobile "for sale' Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tromper" <evilpig@MINDSPRING.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 12:05 AM Subject: Alternate fuels