Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:08:02 -0700
From:         Rich Blake <blake@OAKHARBOR.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone use Les Schwab for tires?

Les Schwab is very hit and miss when it comes to consistent and QUALITY service. I have used them in the past and due to various negative experiences will not use them again. You have to realize that L.S. is high volume low quality, they hire high school kids to do the work on your prized vehicle. Here is an example: I have a 88 Jetta with Borbet C replica rims. I had the car aligned and wheels balanced by L.S. When I got the car back, (at record speed no less) the steering wheel was cocked over 20 degrees when going straight and the car vibrated like hell at highway speeds. Not a satisfied customer.

I took the car back and they "re-balanced" my wheels. Again same symptoms on the road. I went back AGAIN and asked about the possibility that these rims may need hubcentric adapters. Most of the guys looked at me like I was talking Portuguese. (Oh yeah, if you ask a remotely technical question, expect to be referred to at least 5 different guys before you get an answer - and not necessarily the right one.) The one guy that did know what I was talking about said that those should not affect the alignment or driveability. He also said that if I needed some for this particular vehicle, I would have to go to a machine shop to get them made. I wondered about this as L.S. is ALWAYS full up on cars and tires, very busy these guys are all the time. I figured they MIGHT have dealt with aftermarket rims and hubcentric adapters more than once. But I guess I was wrong. Anyway, dudes looked at the Jetta again and couldn't find anything wrong with it and promptly told me that it "should" work ok. So, now rather pissed I went home (car still vibrating) to investigate the problem myself. After getting my reefed lug bolts off (impact wrench does wonders to aluminum rims). I measured out the rims. The bore was 60mm and the hubs are 57.1mm. I found my original hubcentric adapters pushed all the way into the bore of the rim. Placing them correctly on the hub and remounting the rims with a TORQUE WRENCH (something L.S. has never heard of). My vibration problems went away. I also removed my steering wheel and recentered it properly.

So, if you want lackies working on your vehicle go to Les Schwab or Wal-mart or Costco, etc. If you want someone who gives a poo about you and your vehicle shop around and take it to a local shop you trust. If you can find a shop that does alignments by HAND then you are looking at high quality. You will pay more but it is worth it if you have someone you can TRUST. And that is the key.

Rich Blake