Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:04:48 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurovans future (now-vw does not make sportscars)

> There was a time in the early '70s when VW and Porsche jointly > produced a two seater sports car. The Porsche variant was the 914 (but I'm not > certain). I forget what the VW variant was and apparently so did the buying > public by ... hmm ... not buying it.

The 914 used the same "type 4" engine found in '72-up busses and aircooled Vanagons, although with some upgrades compared to the VW version - including domed pistons for increased compression, and an oil baffle in the case to prevent oil starvation when you cornered quickly, an issue that doesn't come up much when driving a bus. (Incidentally, the 914 engine makes a nice upgrade on an bus or aircooled Vanagon, although they're hard to find used at low prices.) The 914 was intended to be a crossover car that would sell VW owners "up" to their first Porsche. Unfortunately, it lacked the horsepower and cosmetics of other Porsches and never really took off.

The engine was also used in the Volkswagen Type 4 (model 411), which was offered as both a hatchback and a wagon, and was intended to replace the Type 3 (squareback, fastback, notchback). It was a "luxury" car by VW's standards back then, with such standard features as a gasoline heater (the Eberspacher BA4). Unfortunately, it failed for several reasons: it was commonly viewed as ugly (although I disagree), and had several mechanical flaws (such as poor access for repair, a crude mechanical fuel injection system, and solid lifters that required regular valve adjustments, not needed on other cars it competed with). I've heard the Type 4 called "the worst car Volkswagen ever made," although I'm not sure I'd go that far. (VW has the distinction of having made more than one bad car. :-) Actually I wouldn't mind having one, as they're quite unique looking and very rare these days! VW briefly reintroduced the car as the 412 with slightly different (albeit not particularly better) cosmetics before giving up on it completely, and introducing the Dasher and Rabbit as the successors to the Type 3 instead.

Incidentally, if this sort of history interests you, there is a good book from Bentley Publications that details the history of all of the VW models, including these ones - from pre-war VW's all the way to the watercooled Vanagon. It includes year by year changes on each model, reprints of articles, and other info taken from VW's own historical archives. Not a "must have," but certainly interesting reading if you're a Volkswagen enthusiast. "Volkswagen Model Documentation Book," my part number GVM1, $23.95.

By the way, my comments on the 914 and 411 are off the top of my head, not from the book, so don't blame me if I've missed anything. :-)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT