Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:48:28 -0400
From:         David Wilhite <dnmwilhite@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Thanks - Westy to Weekender...Trade?
Comments: To: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com, PeachStateTransporters
          <PeachStateTransporters@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks to all for the input I've received. I probably wouldn't be driving my Vanagon, if not for all the technical (and emotional) support I get from you all.

Swapping a piece or two is probably my best bet at this time. I am leaning towards replacing the rear seat and cabinet with a full width seat for the time being; and maybe adding a rear-facing jump-seat when I come across a good (inexpensive) one. Of course, I'm always keeping an eye out for a good Weekender with a bad engine. Maybe this time, I'd try a SVX engine. For some reason though, I never can find one when I have the money, and I find plenty when I don't. Hmmm, why is that? Oh well.

Concerning the SUV & Trailer, I have come back to reality. I just wouldn't use the trailer enough to justify it, and I could buy quite a few Vanagons for the price of one SUV. Besides the fact that I couldn't just fold the seat out and take a nap in it, or pop the top and stand up in it. The Vanagons are just so practical and unique, it's too hard to imagine not having one.

One other option is to get an EV Weekender, but I don't think I want to spend that kind of dough for one. If I got something like that, it would end up being my wife's transportation, since I want her driving the newer, better, safer vehicle. Please no flames on that one. Don't get me wrong, I'd drive my Vanagon anywhere, but I'm not comfortable sending her out with the kids cross country in a 17 year old vehicle. She wouldn't be able to diagnose a mechanical failure as quickly as I would, although she would figure it out eventually. Like this past weekend,on the way to Panama City Beach, the shifter wouldn't work because the lever with the ball on it got a little loose and allowed the shaft to move too far, allowing the ball to slip out of the socket. I'd be getting a phone call, letting me know it broke down somewhere, and we'd have to tow it, or I'd have to go get it. After all, I'm supposed to be the one that keeps the vehicles going, she's supposed to just drive them. Uh oh, I might get flames on that one too. I'd better just go ahead and quit before I get in too much trouble.

So here's a question and/or a shot in the dark. If anyone is interested in swapping Weekender for Westfalia interior components, and lives within driving distance of Atlanta, GA, let me know. I'd like to see if we could work something out. I really do dig the rear facing jumpseats.

Later

David Wilhite 84' Subaruvanagon 01' KLR 650