Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2002 07:50:25 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: I need help from my air-cool budy's, timing questions!!!

You are wise.

Adjusting the timing by "feeling" is a good way to overheat the motor, or burn valves, or burn pistons.

First, set the dwell to spec. Next, get #1 to TDC by removing the spark plug, and placing your pinkie finger in the spark plug hole. Roll the motor over until you can feel the piston crown. If you have fat fingers, use a tool.

Now check the timing scale. The white hash mark *should* be at 0 on the scale, and there should be a line that aligns with the case seam.

Next, set the static timing by rolling the motor back to where the timing mark aligns with the proper mark on the little plastic scale... I think the 1.7 was 7.5 btdc, but I am not sure, VW has a myriad of timing options on the Type 4 due to different cylinder heads, different compression ratios, and different pistons (dished, flat, domed). CHECK THE MANUAL. Once you have the fan set at the proper timing mark, turn on the ignition (don't start the van though), and turn the distributor COUNTERCLOCKWISE until you *just* hear the points fire. It is important that you are turning counter clockwise when they fire, so if you miss it, turn back clockwise, and start again until you get the point where the points just fire.

Lock down the distributor. Start the van, and double-check the timing with the light. 90% of the time it will be right on the money.

The vacuum line should run to the very back of the throttle body, and is important; re-attach it. Drive. Smile.

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278

I guys, well I know, it's a Vanagon mailing list but I know that many of you folks have older Bus, so if a few of you could help me clarified my strange timing problem I would appreciate a lot.

I have a strange timing problem!!! I need suggestions!!!!!! The bus is a 73, engine is a 1700 (or 1800, not sure yet) with original Solex 32-34

Here it goes (this is technical):

DWELL is 34deg at the most(It should be 44deg to 50deg!!!!!) Gap of breaker point is .40mm (It should be between .40mm/.50mm by Bentley, mine's OK) To have a DWELL reading of 44deg I would have to gap the point at about .20mm (not tested yet, what do you think)

RPM is 900, well I try to have a stable 900/1000.

Timing with strobe light (new style that clip on the wire of #1 cylinder) Reading so the van run's well: -24 (yes, minus) far from the + 10 I should read/have, the engine won't run at all a even 5, I can maintain 0 but It doesn't like that at all (no power and bucking). When I try to turn the distributor clockwise to go close to +10 (or I should say 0, the engine feel offset and stall right away) I was running the van at -10 and the engine wasn't running right, so I said to myself; of course!!! I am at -10, I need to go to 10, well not!!!!!! I need to go the other direction (-25) so the engine run's nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange stuff: The vacuum on the distributor can mushroom (advance/tardiness) (the one on the left/flat side) is open (nothing on it) without any vacuum line attach to this one, the Bentley doesn't show much! The upper vacuum on the right side (round side of the mushroom) goes to the left side of the left carburetor near the butterfly, just over this one. I have 2 exact distributor but with different part #, the original one(if original) was remove this morning to put the other one with new point. Could the distributor be the problem, is the strobe gun the problem, is the white reading arc misplace, is the pulley offset (I don't think so), is the vacuum the problem.

Why am y so offset to the left (-24), this is a lot, something is wrong, do you have any suggestions, I would appreciate a lot gentlemen's.

The bus run's nice now but I don't like my reading, I adjusted the distributor by "Feel" and sound until the engine run's smooth, I would like to ajust this one by "spec", not by "Feeling"

Best regards, Ben huotx@videotron.ca http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm