Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:56:23 +1000
From:         Andrew Jack <andrewxp@AJ.DNSALIAS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Australian travel (long)
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>

Sunah/Malcolm,

I would think that shipping a van out here could be fraught with problems. Firstly, the distance is a lot greater than "across the pond" US East Coast/Europe, and the volume of traffic is a lot less - so MUCH more expensive. I bought a European car in '85 with a European Delivery program - went over, picked the car up drove it for a month in Europe, then left it with the shipping agent in Frankfurt. The radio was not fitted in Europe, as the shipping company advised that they usually went missing enroute. Even so, when the car arrived (3-4 months later) in Australia, the tools had all been stolen from the (comprehensive) fitted toolkit in the trunk. Fortunately the shipping insurance replaced them. The vehicle was about 10% cheaper than the Australian list price landed. Obviously, some haggling could have reduced the margin somewhat. Payment for the vehicle was in two installments, the vehicle cost plus shipping and some local costs before delivery, then almost exactly the same amount again (actually slightly more IIRC) for the Australian Duty before local delivery.

Containerization would be ideal, if not for the cost - if you have other stuff to send it may work out.

Local registration is also a minefield - we do not have "Tourist Plates" etc. It is also almost impossible to register a Left Hand Drive vehicle. Obviously, if the intention is to sell the vehicle afterward, then this takes on extra significance - vehicles without an Australian compliance plate typically command much lower resale values.

Vanagons in Australia are now considered to be "long in the tooth" - the Eurovan was readily accepted here and there was only a short time from the last Vanagon ('92) to the first of the Eurovans ('93). More damning is the Australian prediliction for Japanese and Korean vehicles. We have huge numbers of Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubishi et al vans on the road, and they are available in a large range of variants, including 4WD/AWD. Having said that (and ducking from the flames) a Syncro Westie in good condition with front and rear diff locks (chuck in a decoupler for good measure) could make the afficionados salivate - but be prepared for a long wait as the market here is much smaller.

Certainly for a short trip, there are a number of motorhome hire companies out here, Maui and Britz spring to mind. They have vehicles from two person campers up to luxury six berth or so models. The little ones are usually based on a Toyota Hiace or similar, with mid range using the Mercedes Sprinter and larger models using light truck chassis. The companies turn their fleets over every 2-3 years, and often a bargain can be had purchasing an ex rental motorhome - be aware that they are usually underpowered compared to conventional wisdom, although are usually quite well equipped and in good condition, although caveat emptor with regard to the condition of the drivetrain as these vehicles have been driven by a large number of inexperienced drivers.

Andrew

----- Original Message ----- From: "Malcolm Stebbins" <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 4:05 AM Subject: Re: Australian travel