Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:58:22 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Maintenance History

There has been a good bit of discussion about how much repair and maintenance our vans require. I thought I would share a summary of the repair/maintenance history of my two V-gons and other transport.

1985 GL - Purchased from the PO at 105,000 miles. All major components were still original. Only routine maintenance -- oil, filters, etc. -- had ever been done. Power steering rack leaking slightly. Maintenance: During my ownership: Routine servincing 110,000 miles - replaced hydraulic pump (pwr steering), overhauled power steering rack. 200,000 miles - replaced header pipe 202,000 miles - replaced water pump 205,000 miles - overhauled the manual tranny. replaced clutch, resurfaced flywheel. 205,000 + miles - sold. Running strong but using some oil.

1988 GL - Purchased off a dealer lot at 86,000 miles. No history from PO. All components and accessories seemingly worked well. 87,000 miles : Tranny failure - minor component, but required removal, and complete teardown to repair. Cost nearly price of an overhaul. 89,000 miles: Major engine overhaul resulting from a piston that burned through. New clutch plus disc, re-surfaced flywheel., new rear seal. Replaced all hoses, fuel lines in the engine compartment. 105,000 miles: Slipping clutch due to leaking oil seal. Removed tranny, replaced rear seal and installed new clutch disc. 115,000 miles: Replaced brake master cylinder, bled brake lines and hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. 117,000 miles: Replaced front blower switch, low beam headlight bulbs. New CVs (Lobros)

1939 model Deluxe Male Body - Still fully operational. All major components still fully functional , never a major component failure or repair, some minor cosmetic issues, creak in the lower left extremity.

As you can see, my 88 GL has been more problematic for maintenance than the 85 GL was. Yet I prefer the later van. Of course I now have all the major things fixed and it should go for a very long time without much major to do to it.

88 GL - Immediate Future plans: replace rear heater valve, replace power steering rack, replace rear brakes. New windshield seal, new front door window seals.

1939 Deluxe Male Body- Immediate future plans: Minor cosmetics are not to distracting and will be left to nature. Creaky lower left extremity is being given generous applications of Viamin E, glucosomine, Cod Liver Oil and Acetominophen. Seems to work.

Given that my posesions here are aging, there are going to be ongoing maintenance and repair issues, which are probably to numerous to go into.

The only reason I see to ever replace my van is that the '39 Deluxe creaky lower left extremity is beginning to demand some relief from the clutching that must be done with a manual tranny on the 88 GL. . It may well be that at some point I have to opt for a van with an automatic tranny.

But I will sure hate to give this one up.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver