Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:30:27 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AW: Maintenance History
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>

Here's a record that goes back to 1993 @27,000 mils for the 1991 Syncro I recently bought. It was owned by the PO since 1992, when the vehicle had 3,000 miles. So you can almost say I'm the second owner as the 1st only owned it a year. The second owner drove it until this year when it had 188,000 . I got all the maintenance records from his shop where he spent $7,529 during his ten year ownership. The engine is original. The transmission, driveline, VC- all have not been repaired or replaced yet.

I think this is remarkable. The shop was very diligent and always informed the PO of work that would need to be done in the future. After reading these records, I would go there myself. But since I have a low maintenance engine, I would rarely need to go .

Most of the charges are tune-ups and parts replacements- bearings, brakes, hoses, fluids and tune-up parts were replaced regularly. At 136,000 the head gaskets and one head were replaced for 1,049.00. This included a water pump, oil and filter, expansion tank, coolant sensor and VW coolant. (I think this is a great price compared to some I have seen.)

The other most recent costs were complete rear brakes, the two main plastic coolant pipes front to rear were replaced for $600.00.

The shop recommended a clutch replacement about a year ago- that's how I got it- the PO wanted to move on. The need to r&r the rear CV's and replace a front driveshaft was another reason he wanted to sell. But he told me he had good , reliable use out of it because he maintained it so well. And it shows. I have looked at a lot of these for sale- for the price I couldn't pass it up.

I have spent less on my '82 Westy though parts for my inline-4 conversion and 2.0 upgrade cost me around $2,500. I have owned it six years. I just put Bilsteins on the front - an major improvement over the KYB GR2 that I put on 5 years ago. That cost $150.00. Other than that, I have done all my own maintenance . By comparison, I can see that the WBX is a more maintenance intensive engine than a Golf-Jetta engine. My 95 Golf engine has over 140,00 on it and just the basic tune-up stuff is all it ever needs. The timing belt still has 30,000 miles to go.

The serpentine belt that the 93-later Golf-Jetta motors use narrows me down to two belts. Only one belt to adjust, the PS and Water pump use a V-belt, the Alt and AC use the serpentine which never needs adjusting.

I would like to get a timing belt tensioner pulley found on later model VW inline -4 engines and have one less adjustment. Maintenance then for me is mostly brakes. I have to think hard to come up with what I should do next. Maybe it's because my former daily driver was a 64 bus. So I have diverted this maintenance momentum to upgrades and additions to the Westy interior/exterior. The syncro interior I will leave alone -it is the plain Vanagon version- rubber floor mats, early-style non-padded dash, no power windows, mirrors, not even wing vents!

Robert K

1982 Westfalia 1991 Syncro Vanagon

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ----- Von: John Rodgers Gesendet: Sunday, September 15, 2002 7:58 AM An: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Betreff: Maintenance History

There has been a good bit of discussion about how much repair and maintenance our vans require. I thought I would share a summary of the repair/maintenance history of my two V-gons and other transport.

1985 GL - Purchased from the PO at 105,000 miles. All major components were still original. Only routine maintenance -- oil, filters, etc. -- had ever been done. Power steering rack leaking slightly. Maintenance: During my ownership: Routine servicing 110,000 miles - replaced hydraulic pump (pwr steering), overhauled power steering rack. 200,000 miles - replaced header pipe 202,000 miles - replaced water pump 205,000 miles - overhauled the manual tyranny. replaced clutch, resurfaced flywheel. 205,000 + miles - sold. Running strong but using some oil.

1988 GL - Purchased off a dealer lot at 86,000 miles. No history from PO. All components and accessories seemingly worked well. 87,000 miles : Tyranny failure - minor component, but required removal, and complete teardown to repair. Cost nearly price of an overhaul. 89,000 miles: Major engine overhaul resulting from a piston that burned through. New clutch plus disc, re-surfaced flywheel., new rear seal. Replaced all hoses, fuel lines in the engine compartment. 105,000 miles: Slipping clutch due to leaking oil seal. Removed tyranny, replaced rear seal and installed new clutch disc. 115,000 miles: Replaced brake master cylinder, bled brake lines and hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. 117,000 miles: Replaced front blower switch, low beam headlight bulbs. New CVs (Lobros)

John Rodgers 88 GL DriverHolen Sie mehr aus dem Web. Unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp#de gibt es einen KOSTENLOSEN Download von MSN Explorer.