Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:55:05 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: seeking Air Cooled info/advice (82 Westy)
Comments: To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>

It isn't *necessary* to loosen the front tranny mount, but since that mount wasn't designed for rotational force, and you are going to rotate it 30-45 degrees, you stand a fair chance of ruining the mount if you don't loosen it.

Whatever you do, DON'T FORGET TO TIGHTEN IT BACK when you are done. There was a horror story on list back in the late 1990s about a listee who picked his van up from the shop after a motor swap and this mount hadn't been tightened. Eventually the bolt backed out, the nose of the tranny hit the pavement and tried to dig its way to China. Ugly.

Anywho. Got to go.

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278

From: "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 11:04 AM Subject: Re: seeking Air Cooled info/advice (82 Westy)

> Motor swap is so darned easy on this vehicle after doing it once or > twice you can do it with your hands tied behind your back, with a > blindfold on. Sometimes I ask for shackles, a bed of nails, and a ball > and chain, just to make it a challenge.

I should have you come out and drop/replace an engine (like I did this weekend) on my hillside driveway (2-way slope) utilizing the assistance of my wife who tries hard but is the proverbial 98 lb. weakling! Now that's a challenge!

> [snip] > 4. Disconnect the EFI harness from the ECU, the alternator plug, > the coil wires (that go to the motor), throttle cable, and the double > relay connection,

and the large cable that runs from the alternator, through the tin and connects to the starter.

>[snip] > 7. Loosen the motor to tranny bolts slightly, the transmission > (nose) mount bolt [about 4 turns loosened] and the mount-to-frame bolts > slightly.

I've never really found this necessary, though it doesn't hurt anything to do so.

>[snip]

> 10. Remove the noise dampers (black accordion gizmos) on the heat > system and disconnect the heater/flapperboxes.

I've always just disconnected the heat control valves from the connector pipes to the heat exchangers. While you're under there disconnect the gas lines (feed and return) from both sides of the engine. >[snip]