Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:49:03 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP NEEDED ON THE ROAD
Comments: To: Cooper Jonathan <Cooper@BQMLAW.COM>
Comments: cc: JonathanRCooper@directvinternet.com

Your salvation awaits you...

Liberty Volkswagen (605) 343-1000 1101 E. Omaha Street Rapid City, SD 57702

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278

I am Nomail and on the road, so please reply to JonathanRCooper@directvinternet.com

My 85 is acting up. It has a miss or hesitation at load and higher rpm in all gears. It smoothes out if I floor it. The gas mileage was not as horrible as when I have had an O2 sensor go bad, and I had more high speed and climbing "oomph". It started last night in the rain as a slight and occasional high speed miss.

Here is the history:

A week ago we had a cracked collector pipe. I noticed a miss and a lack of power and bad gas mileage. I disconnected the O2 sensor and drove on about 100 miles. The van ran well but a little rich and gas mileage was about 15 mpg. When we got to a town we stopped for a better look. I could hear an exhaust leak. At first I thought it was the O2 sensor malfunctioning due to a loose exhaust pipe. I tightened the exhaust and the problem went away for 100 miles. Then it came back. So I figured the O2 sensor was bad Stopped in Wall SD and bought a NAPA version (all there was). Problem seemed fixed for another couple hundred miles. At Badlands, I heard more air leak. I figured that the pipe was loose - but no. The collector pipe was cracked, right below the O2 sensor. Bus Depot to the rescue. UPS delivered a pipe to the camp site. I tried to put it on with the old bolts - ugh. Drove 150 Mi. to a garage with the O2 sensor disconnected. It fried. I bought bolts and put things together in the Wal-Mart Parking lot. I put in the original O2 sensor. Things went pretty well from there. Until one of the long coolant pipes cracked. I had a spare large hose, so with a piece of pipe and some hose and clamps I got that back together and bled it. It was after that that my wife noticed a high speed miss.

I noticed several things:

The connection of the rubber housing to the AFM was loose. The grounds looked cruddy. My other fixes were holding.

Here is what I have done.

(I have a New temp 2 sensor 1 month old. Same with Dist cap. Wires, rotor, Injector seals fuel lines)

I first put in a new NAPA O2 sensor (again, all there was).

I tightened all grounds and all air and vacuum connections.

The fuel pump was whining and the problem seemed to get better once when I loosened the "Zip tie" I had used to hold the pump in place) this "cured things for a while. It acted up again and things got better when I just "massaged the pump" - its whine decreased several octaves - so I changed it for my spare. No more whine but the problem was the same.

I put in, successively, my spare ECU and AFM, with no improvement.

I pulled the plugs and replaced them - prior plugs were about at the 2/3 life point and when pulled were black - looks like running rich. Went for a test drive - problem still n acceleration and climbing - stumbles but okay (no stumble when floored. So on a long hill in Lead SD, I disconnected the O2 sensor again (NAPA no 2). Ands shaazam - things felt better. But I didn't drive too far. Could it be???? Ideas???? Help. By the way, it is raining and 40degrees, so working on it is a joy.

Finally, No I have not changed the fuel filter because in the many stores I have been to, nobody has one

Jonathan R. Cooper

Brzytwa, Quick & McCrystal

900 Skylight Office Tower

Cleveland, OH 44113

216-664-6900 (voice)

216-664-6901 (fax)

Cooper@BQMlaw.com

JonathanRCooper@directvinternet.com

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the [guts] to live in the real world." -Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden