Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:44:22 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      FYI - eurovan mirror on a VANAGON for those of you with westys or
              overhead A/C

for those of you with westys or overhead a/c take note... on my '84 wolfsburg vanagon w/ the overhead mounted a/c evaporator, i could barely see out of the back window (my ac is actually even lower because i have a sunroof van with the double thickness roof so it was really bad) so i got a rear view mirror from a '93 eurovan that is the windshield mount style - mounts to the windshield w/ the little disc that is adhered on there w/ glue like most cars. the eurovan mirror is as tall and wide as the vanagon mirror so the visibility is superb. this is how i mounted it. first i took off the original vanagon mirror (its for sale, by the way, black, and in great shape) it just turns clockwise or counterclockwise to take it out. then i got out of the van and went out front and measured down 5 and 3/4 inches from where the upper rubber seal touches the glass on the outside of the vanagon windshield and marked it with a piece of white tape.. this will be the center of the location of the mounting disc on the inside. then i used some rear view mirror adhesive and mounted the little disc in that spot on the inside, holding it in place with some masking tape while it dried. i mounted the mirror the next day. simple upgrade. all is well, and mirror has been in place for 3 months now.. and i can finally see out my back window rather than looking at my a/c evaporator.. chris