Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:06:11 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Westy Dead Engine

Jon

You best bet for HP if money is no object is www.aircooledtechnologies.com; get the PowerStroke, which was designed specifically for Buses and Vanagon for folks who want/need more towing/pulling power. You can read all about it there.

Yours is currently a 71 (stroke) by 94 (bore). The PowereStroke takes it to 78 x 94, with snazzy heads, a decent cam, and (gag a maggot) big carburetors; which gives you what you want in the Vanagon, more torque without a bunch of head heat. If you have the $$$, and don't care about your fuel mileage or passing emissions inspections, call Jake and order one, they range from $3,900-5,000, but be advised, he won't talk about dealing with fuel injection or emissions; carbs and pipes only.

Boston Engine Exchange also does smart things with Type 4 motors and have earned a reputation for turning out rock solid daily-driver motors. No popping wheelies, but the motor will still be turning at 125k, which some others may not be.

After having rebuild dozens of these myself, I can tell you there is no 'inexpensive' rebuild, and RELIABLE performance improvements (particularly for pushing that big freakin' brick) are few and far between. Do NOT go to larger bore (BTDT, bad idea). I'm running 96mm and wish I wasn't, the head temps are super chancy. I use my van almost exclusively in the winter until I can afford to build a stroked motor for it. Whatever you do, don't even think of the huge bores (like 101, 103, etc.) unless you like having a 10k-15k motor. These kits are a bad idea with a capitol B.

In a perfect world, a 76mm counterweighted crank, 94mm KB pistons in OEM jugs, 34 x 44 914 2.0 heads, WebCam hydraulic camshaft and lifters, ratio rockers, CD ignition, 96 plate oil cooler with fan, and CIS-E (Lambda) injection would be extremely reliable, would probably pass inspection with flying colors, and would also yield somewhere in the 120-160 range for HP and torque. A very noticeable increase.

Do all this yourself, and it will be in the $3,500-$4,000 range.

For reference, I just did rings and valves (motor goes back in tomorrow) and it was $1,600, w/ me spinning the wrenches. Thanks Bus Depot, AirCooled.net, T.Hoff Machine Shop, and FAT Performance for being there.

1982 Westfalia, with counterweighted/race balanced 71 x 96 aircooled 2056cc,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278