Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:06:48 -0700
From:         kevin obrien <kevindobrien@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Infrared Thermometer Readings....analysis & feedback requested

Hello All:

Awhile back I bought an Infrared Thermometer in an attempt to evaluate my 1990 Carats (2.1L) overheating (getting hot) on long uphill stretches. Several of you suggested where to take readings...so here they are. Please send feedback accordingly...any and all appreciated.

Van is parked with the nose slightly uphill. I let her idle until the radiator fan kicked on. I put the heat on full and took readings... I’ll refer to left and right FACING the engine (toward front of Van) All measurements in Fahrenheit

Thermostat housing itself: 176? 2 hoses running from above into Thermostat (ones attached to the white plastic hose that circles the engine compartment): Left 155? Right 176? Big Hose on right side of Thermostat : 178? Big Hose on left side of thermostat: 176? Hose coming toward me out of thermostat: 182?

Right Head (measured under van -just behind Valve covers): 203? Left Head: (measured under van - just behind Valve covers ) 205?

Waterpump: @ 185? (tough to reach)

Radiator: (R&L Facing the radiator) Right side: 170? Left Side (with bleed valve at top) 163? near bottom ...134? at top -just below bleeder screw. NOTE: I checked this several times...there was always about 30 degree difference from the top and bottom of this side of the radiator. WHY?

Front of radiator (random readings around the grid) 89? to 92?

Expansion Tank: Hose coming in to top of tank: 171? Hose coming out the bottom 176.5?

Someone asked me awhile back if the radiator fan blew out or suck in....I held a piece of paper to it...it sucked the paper toward the radiator when the fan was blowing.

Anybody see anything odd??? Anything I missed...or suggestions for additional readings?

Note: I took a measurement from my temple as I stared at the perpetually blinking coolant light...and the thermometer went off the chart!!! :-)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..... kevindobrien@yahoo.com