Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:19:53 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Inverter advice needed
Comments: To: Greg Kriss <carat90@LYCOS.COM>

I have a lot of experience with inverters, being an electrician and also RV owner (in addition to my Westy).

Full sine wave is needed for some electronic devices, including some TVs, Microwaves, etc. Other stuff, like power tools, can use modified.

Output depends upon what you want to run. Get one big enough for whatever you want to power.

Keep in mind that these EAT power. Take the watts, divide by 12 volts, and thats how many amps you will draw from your battery. 1200 watts is 100 amps. 600 watts is 50 amps. Both will actually be higher because of loss in the inverter. They are not 100% efficient. Notice that the case is a heat sink. That means BIG cables connecting it to the battery, and a soon-to-be-dead battery as well.

I think they are only practical for small loads. You are about to discover why motorhomes have generators.

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Kriss" <carat90@LYCOS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 1:31 PM Subject: Inverter advice needed