Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:36:02 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: [TRIP-HELP!] Broke down in Utah!
Comments: To: Mark G <machfive@EXCITE.COM>

[2002-09-15 15:13 -0400] Mark G (machfive@EXCITE.COM) wrote: > Bob et al; Anyone know of a decent German parts place and/or mechanic in or near SLC Utah? My '87 Westy (2.1 L Auto) was bucking like crazy onthe highway today. I limped back to my Bro-in-laws, so we (my wife and I and the two babies,) are safe and sound. I'm thinking it's the fuel filter (that's what it felt like,) even though it is supposedly new. Perhaps some "bad" gasoline, or more probably rust/sediment from the tank. The PO didn't seem to keep the tank full so I'm thinking rust/sediment. Anything else to check? I guess it could be the Intermittent Syndrome, but I seem to remember that the syndrome would make the Van not start after stopping, but I'll check the archives. TIA! > > Mark G. > 1987 Vanagon Westfalia (to go slow) > 2000 Passat 1.8T 5SPD(to go fast)

Hi Mark --

Baxter's Imparts, 801 485 3111, somewhere around 1650 State St., is my favorite parts place in SLC. They carry only OEM stuff.

I hope for your sake that it IS something simple like bad gas or rust/sediment/clogged fuel filter, but don't get too invested in that hope! The bucking kinda thing is common to a bunch of different FI problems. I don't know if the 'double relay' is part of your engine (I have an '81) but it's another possible source of the bucking problem, likewise contact problems in the air box.

On the good news side, I really did have a clogged fuel filter once!

If you need a Bentley or tool support, drop me a p-mail.

Gary