Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:08:43 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Adding AC to a Westy / BEHR in-dash
Comments: To: Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Larry,

I can't speak to capacity issues or even effectiveness since I have not installed this unit.

This is but one option, I think this MAY be easier than ripping AC out of an old westy (if you can find one) and then reinstalling it.

The thing I like about front AC is that it blows where you want it on driver (yes I am selfish) and passenger. I almost never have people in the back seat.

Plus installing in the front only HAS to be easier than installing in the front and rear.

That said, I am REALLY envious of the front and rear setup that you are working on.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:50:15 -0700 From: Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET> Subject: Re: Adding AC to a Westy / BEHR in-dash To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

With all due respect to Chris,

The BEHR In-Dash would be a fine addition if you already had rear AC and needed more cooling capacity.

But it really doesn't have the volume to cool the whole Van.

If your only concern is the front (Driver & Passenger) and you hang a curtain behind the Driver / Passenger seat to contain some of the cool ... if might be fine.

But if you want the whole Van comfortable .... I don't believe this unit is sufficient.

Unless you live in a very moderate climate.

Just a point of view.

Happy Trails,

Larry Chase 85 Westy "RoadHaus" 90 Westy Syncro "Sprudel" Mesa, AZ

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:41:51 -0400 From: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@vanagon.org> Subject: Re: Adding AC to a Westy / BEHR in-dash To: Dana Showers <dshowers@CPDS.NET>, Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Find yourself a used Behr unit. I just paid dearly to get one off of eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item=1857072905

That said, BenT picked one up for $49. But he is much cooler than I am to begin with...

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:29:08 -0400 From: Dana Showers <dshowers@CPDS.NET> Subject: Adding AC to a Westy To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Has anyone added AC to a non-AC Westy before? If so, how did you do it?

I would think ripping the AC out of another Westy would be the easiest way to do it, but I have no knowledge.

thanks,

Dana 85 Westy

dshowers@cpds.net

717.732.9531