Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:43:15 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: storage for Vanagon stuff
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

In a message dated 9/14/02 9:23:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time, wilden1@JUNO.COM writes:

<< OK BenTee in the middle. I saw the thing on the cargo trailers being used as residences in the Philippines on a Frontline special that went into the details of the Tropical Storms in the Pacific. You know the Typhoons and Sunami? The concern voiced was that the cargo container are so strong and water tight that people living in them can be washed out to sea in situations of tidal waves and back washes. As for expense; there has to be some middle class working residents of the Philippines that can buy a $500.00 cargo container. Wouldn't you think? I knew I could never trust Public television again after I found out that they were partially funded by the National Endowment for The Arts. >>

Sounds like they were taking artistic license. No way a cargo container will sell for $500 there unless it was 1945 or something. If they are buying it for that, it;s because it was likely appropriated w/o the shipping company's permission. As for a middle class, they are almost nonexistent in the Philippines. A Vanagon if you can find one for sale will likely still go for about $15,000 for even an air-cooled (bus) example. If you start getting ideas of importing one, you should be made aware that a big chunk of that is customs duty and luxury tax. Tax has gone as high as 205% in some cases.

BenT