Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:52:55 -0400
From:         Bob O Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 GL 1.9L Engine Rebuild Qs?

On 9/22/02 10:36 AM, "Curt Lewis" <curtis-l-lewis@CFL.RR.COM> wrote:

> Hello All, > > I have a few questions for doing my 1st engine rebuild. The vehicle/engine > that this is going to be performed on has 184,XXX miles. I am planning on > buying all new or rebuilt parts, everything except crankshaft and > crankcase....that is if they check out okay. That being the case and after > having the crankcase dipped, what all do I need a machinist to check and/or > test on the crankcase and crankshaft, if anything?

When I had mine done, I had the shop do everything on the bottom end. They cleaned the case, checked the crank and pressed new bearings for the crank and the connecting rods. They also properly shimmed the crank for end play. The guy even had me bring in the new pistons and wrist pins so he could check the rods. I seem to remember this being more expensive than I had thought. Also have them check the sealing surfaces of the water jackets for straightness if the engine has ever overheated or blown a head gasket. This is also a good time to check the head studs. You don't want to snap one off after you've covered the gaskets with elephant snot and torqued down a few of the head nuts.

> What are the concerns of buying rebuilt heads over new heads? >

Standard stuff, cracks, straightness, valve seats. One thing that I'd highly recommend is that you get the gasket sealing surfaces of the heads ceramic coated. This will prevent the coolant bubble pitting and erosion of the gasket mating surfaces. The shop that coated mine also did the valves and the combustion chambers. For extra, they'd do the exhaust ports too.

> > Any thoughts or help on the this will be appreciated. I know I have more > questions, but can't think of them. I'm sure I'll remember all of them as > soon as I hit send. Please feel free to send responses to the list or my > pmail. > Do as much as humanly possible. This is the ultimate "while you're in there" occasion. Get a new clutch, new water and oil pumps, new injector rails, new idle air stabilizer, new fuel lines and new pushrod tubes. Install a dual oil pressure sensor for an oil pressure gauge.

Be careful with the cast aluminum stuff. I sheared off a bolt in the thermostat housing thingie and had to find an aluminum welding shop to cut it out and weld up a replacement section. Then I had to get it drilled and tapped.

Clean and paint everything. I bought a bench grinder with a wire wheel to strip paint off of parts like the water pipes that crisscross the engine and the intake plenum. I'm thinking of getting a bench-top sandblaster for the diesel rebuild. I'm also looking for a good paint recommendation for this type of work. The stuff I used on my 1.9 didn't stand up to the heat very well.

Use the right stuff. The Kuril elephant snot for the head gasket and the special yellow VW sealant for the head nuts. (I got mine from Kyle at Voks-Café) Check all of the head nuts for pitting and replace as necessary and follow all of the torque and re-torque directions to the T. Put as many stainless fasteners on the engine as you can get. Make sure that you've got a good electrical connection at the big ground point.

Plan as much as possible and you'll have a nice long-living engine.

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 99 A3 Jetta TDI 82 Diesel Westy (with blown engine) + Quantum TD engine 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 95 Cat, 96 Cat, 98 Kid, 00 Kid, 01 Dog 25 House