Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:02:26 -0700
From:         bob mendonca <bobnshar@SURFBEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil drain plug
Comments: To: Robie Pierce <robie19@COX.NET>

Our solution to this problem took quite awhile to get to from our end. Received different answers from various types of businesses. Finally ended up with an "old time" mechanic (who works on anything because he's been around so long), who found that an insert had already been put onto the tank and he opened it up and drained and changed the oil. Took him about 20 minutes or so to keep working on that insert to free it up. Other places told us to take it to a welding place and have an insert put in so that we could drain the oil from this new place. Also were told that there are ways to get the oil out through suction-type devices that suck out the old oil and put new oil in through the oil insertion area (they supposedly do this on boats??), but we would have to drive about 30 miles or so to get to the one place in our area that does this type of work. It was one of those oil change places, but not one of the chains. I just kept calling different places and finally came up with people who were willing to do this type of work (most of the answers were "I don't know"). When I called the local VW dealers (2 of them), they were not even interested and said they had never heard of this! Typical for the dealers. We finally found the "old time" mechanic from a reference from the local Jiffy Lube place, who send their "problem" vehicles to him for work because he seems to fix anything that comes along.