Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:53:05 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@BEACONTEL.TV>
Subject:      Anyone got a dead golf/jetta/passat alternator they can spare a p
              art from?

I'm thinking someone might have a dead mid-90's jetta/golf/passat alternator lying around... I'm trying to obtain one of the steel bushings the alternator mounting bolts screw into. VW doesn't sell them separately, and no luck at the local junkyard. The P/N for my alternator is 028 903 025 Q, but other mid-90's alternators are pretty much identical... I think! My bushing had a bolt broken off in it which I tried to extract, subsequently breaking off my bolt extractor. I got that out intending to re-tap the threads, but I had drilled the extractor hole slightly off-center and consequently drilled the tap hole off-center as well. Duh! Anyway, the bushing is press-fit into the alternator housing and can be punched out quite easily with a hammer and punch (or appropriately-sized socket). It has an 8x1.25 thread, and is almost exactly 11/16" in diameter, and 25/32" in length.

Cheers, Doug Fitz-Randolph Freeport, ME