Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:17:39 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      about the "Best Oil" to use in our WaterBoxer

Larry my friend, This is easy, Havoline not because it is a good oil but because it is a dark oil dark oils are better because you can see them on the dipstick main thing Larry keep it filled not overfilled with oil 20w50 with something you can see when your eyesight starts failing you clean and dark and every 3k prayers to all, gary

--- Larry Chase <lchase@attglobal.net> wrote: > Volks, > > Let's see if I can ease out of the shadows and get a > friendly debate going > about the "Best Oil" to use in our WaterBoxer > Engines. > > Yesterday I had a very interesting discussion with > Ken Morgan / Euro Cars. > > The shop installing the 2.2L engine in the RoadHaus. > > Ken is pretty rigid on this subject. > > There are three types of Oils (Ash, Distilled & > Synthetic) > > Of course you also get combinations or blends like > Distilled & Synthetic. > > Ash is oil that is removed from the refining process > very early. > > As we all know ... not a good choice, bad chemicals > and such. > > So that leaves us with Distilled & Synthetic. > > Both fine while the engine is running ... great > lubrication properties etc. > > But when the engine is shut down and left standing > for a couple of days .... > like being parked in a camp ground, there is a > problem. > > STICTION. > > Simply put ...... whether the oil sticks to the > parts it was lubricating or > whether it drains off. > > Synthetics don't have good stiction properties. > > With Synthetic Oils many of the parts are dry when > you fire her up, after > sitting for a while. > > Bada Bing .... FRICTION / WEAR. > > With Distilled oils ....... a good deal of oil stays > adhered to the internal > engine parts. > > Thus when you fire her up, even after sitting a > while ..... plenty of > lubrication. > > Now to the million dollar question ..... Brands of > Distilled Oil. > > Presumable there are only two brands out there. > > One small company .. that I don't remember ....but > was recently bought out > by Castrol to settle the Caterpillar Law Suit > (Engines Blew Up after using > Castrol Synthetic) has already been mention on this > forum. Apparently > Castrol has not put much effort in getting this > product in the distribution > channel. Thus not a viable solution. > > The other brand ..... Kendal Gold Racing Oil. > > Thus ... that is the only oil he uses in his engine > rebuilds. At least while > they are in the shop and under warranty. > > OK, I'm going to duct now. > > Let the Debate begin. > > Chase > > Where: The Great North American Tour > When: 01.02.03 > How: RoadHaus - 1990 VW Westfalia Syncro > From: Mesa, AZ > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > ---------------------~--> > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/gd26lB/TM > ---------------------------------------------------------------------~-> > > To leave this list send an 'empty' message to > <mailto:vanagon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >