Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:57:43 -0400
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: gas filler neck leak
Comments: To: dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET

Hi David:

Just replaced my tank on an 82 with an after market from California Imports. I am also using the stock 70 mm filler tube and all the other hardware. This is from memory at the moment, but my tank fits completely between the two frame cross members (going from side to side). But due to the air-conditioning install done by VWOA for the PO, these members were slightly bent and made it difficult to slide the tank in and out. I had to bend them some to get everything right. I still had to push on the tank (with a hydraulic jack) to make sure it was up high enough to bolt in the brace that holds the tank on. Even when everything fit it was still a lot of work to get the braces bolted in (lots of spring to overcome). I am not sure if you have the correct tank as I could never get the braces to connect if the tank was too low. With the tank held up high enough to just connect the braces, my filler tube is centered nicely in the access hole through the main frame member.

I know, not much help so far. I do not remember anything else being in the way that the tank would bind upon, unless the shift linkage was too low or the heater tube had been moved and was in the way.

I got pretty good at raising and lowering the tank as it took me three tries to figure out how to hook up the metal vent tube (going to the fill tube) to the tank (through the vent grommet). The first two attempts I put the tank in place and tried to then hook up the last vent tube. But each time I just ended pushing the grommet into the tank. The last attempt I connected the metal vent tube first and then slid the tank sideways and up into the frame. Not something I would want to do again. Next time I am buying a new plastic vent tube that will be easier to get into the grommet.

Let me know if looking at my van I can answer any of your questions. Look at the type2 list archives. I think someone there used something to seal their fuel filler tube grommet, as they could not drop the engine and the tank to replace the seal.

Good luck

Regards, --Jeff Strickrott 82 Westy, South Florida