Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:18:42 -0700
From:         Joachim Preiss <jp0815@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Custom Bike Mount PICTURE - For Sale??

I had the same problem with spinning cranks on my Golf roof rack. Doesn't happen with the bikes in highest gear. A rear wheel tray is a must to prevent the bike from going all over the place. Could use a cross bar with a Yakima Boa rear wheel mount.

How do you attach the fork mount? To the hatch or the roof? Would that work with a pop-top? I like the fact that the bike is way up there with little risk of using it as a bumper - except when there's a pickup truck behind you.

I've been playing with the idea forever of how to transport my bikes on the westy. I like the Paulchen concept, but it's expensive. I read a post recently from someone using a pickup truck fork mount behind the driver/passenger seats inside the van. Keeps the bikes from getting covered with road slime on a rainy day, but might get the floor dirty with muddy bikes. Also access to the back is difficult as well as to the cold beer. Then there's the hitch mount, but I don't have a hitch.

Keep us posted! I am definitively interested to learn more about the design. Joachim

'85 Westfalia