Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:52:54 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: gas filler neck leak
Comments: To: dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>

IIRC, the front edge of the tank goes above the front crossmember, and the back of the tank pivots up, held up by the long brackets underneath. On the brackets were several rubber pads, maybe six as you said, spaced along the length of the bracket. If your front lip is below the crossmember, that is the problem. It seemed to me the better design would have been to have the rear of the tank sit on the crossmember and allow the front to pivot up and down. This way you would have room to hook up all those damn lines, but Noooooo, VW couldn't have done this!

Jay '85 Westy

dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 09/25/2002 12:36:28 PM

Please respond to dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: gas filler neck leak

Pictures would be great. Thanks.

From your description, it seems like you may have a different design than mine. I do not have a lip on the back frame cross member. The tank just sits on the the 2 brackets at the back. It requires use of a jack to hold it up until the brackets are in place, then the tank rests on them.

I think what is prohibiting the tank from being fully installed is its binding on the from frame cross member. I have tried to lift the tank by hand and carefully with a jack and it wont move at all as it is currently installed. I plan on removing both brackets, lowering the tank at the rear slightly, and then try to raise the front some.

The shimms you describe are certainly different from mine. I dont have any on any of the frame to tank contact points. The "bumpers" as I describe look as though they came with the brackets. The brackets look new and the bumpers are mounted onto the brackets. They are about 1/3 the way back from the front of the bracket, where you screw it into the front cross frame. They are about 1/2 inch thick and the tanks rests on them, once the brackets are installed.

Where are your 6 shims located? Across front, back, or along side frame areas? If it makes sense, I may have to make these.

I painted all the metal parts of the filler neck with por-15. Been expermenting with that product.

Good to know autozone has something I can maybe use as a last resort. I'll check them out if need be.

Thanks for your assitance, David

Jeff Strickrott wrote: > Hi David: > > > >>OK. mine does fit between the left to right cross members. The front >>lip of my tank sits on the lip of the front crossmember and the back of >>my tank doesnt really sit on anything, it is held in place by the 2 tank >>brackets that slide into slits in the back cross member. > > > I will see if I can take some pictures of mine from underneath and send them to you tonight. Both the front and rear lips on mine sit inside the cross members. Not hitting at all. The only part of the tank that comes in contact with the frame is the lip on the sides of the tank (left/right).To install my > tank I had to first slide the front of the tank over the lip of the forward cross member, then sideways to allow the metal vent tube (going to the fuel filler tube) to clear (go above) the right frame member. > > I am wondering if what is keeping your tank from going all the way up is the plastic vent tube assembly. On my vehicle, the old vent tube went between the metal body of the floor, and the heater vent assembly. To put the new plastic vent tube in, I had to disassembly part of the vent assembly to get the > tube in place. If the PO was lazy, maybe they just left it underneath and thus could not push the tank all the way up to keep from crushing this assembly. > > Of course using the plastic vent tube assembly, trying to connect the metal vent tube, balancing everything and getting the tank in place (for one person) was a real pain. So on my third attempt I modified my vent assembly such that I could hook everything up when the tank was on the ground. That meant I > have a longer vent tubes than stock, but so far no problem. > > >>You mention rubber shims. The only rubber that I have on >> mine are small dome-shaped rubber "bumpers" about the diameter of a >> quarter that are mounted on the tank brackets, fitting between the >> brackets and the tank when it sits on the brackets. Is there something >> else rubber I should have? >> > > > Regarding the shims, I have 6 rectangular shims, about 1/8 in thickness, that go between the tank and the frame. Nothing was attached to the braces that hold the tank in place. Just metal to metal contact. The tolerance was so tight, that I am not sure that I could have placed any shims between the two. > Were these rubber bumpers added by the PO? > > >> I'm not talking about a >>small drip of a gas leak, it literally runs out. > > > I have been their, my old seal was loose enough that whenever I sloshed the gas around it would leak. I did a test on the new system, with water in the bathtub to prove to myself that the new system would not leak. As long as the fuel filler tube went straight through the grommet, then no leaks. Torque > it to one side or the other and you can develop leaks. I wonder if all cars have such a cheesy seal. > > I went and got some sealer (never used) that appeared to be tar based and gasoline proof (from Autozone) that I thought I would use to improve the fuel seal. But as I had so much fun installing the tank, I figured trying to put a seal around the fuel filler neck was out of the question. > > One thing I did do before installing all the metal was to paint them with a rubberized truck bed liner (though I think if I had to do it again I would use metal primer and plasti dip). I wanted a tough finish for the tank and to protect the fuel filler tube from rocks. One benefit of this is that the > fuel filler tube is about 1/2 mm larger in diameter than stock, thus making a better seal with the grommet. I made sure that the paint I used did not dissolve in gas (at least not for the 1 day test I did). We will see what happens over the next couple of years. > > I hope that this helps.

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portuges Japanese Chinese Korean