Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:58:49 -0400
From:         Dan Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>
Subject:      A few unrelated questions

After reading the postings about people with a slightly erratic idle when the engine is cold I decided to replace the temp sensor. Went to the Vanagain site and Ken lists Coolant Temp Sender for Fuel Injection (blue two pin) and asks Do you need the O ring but then doesn't provide a link for ordering the O ring. My question on this is (Ken if you are listening...) Is the blue 2 pin the right temp sensor (I think it is) and how do I get an o ring for it (Ken??).

2nd Question: The standard timing mark for my 91 GL is 5 degrees BTDC (I think that is right) Is this where people with a 2.1 L engine are running theirs?? Or is more or less advance better. It seems to run fine there except for some roughness and some erratic idling when cool. With a timing light I can see the V mark jump around a bit (a couple of degrees or so to the left)

3rd Question: Could some of this be due to the idle stablizer? Is it really supposed to vibrate all of the time? I don't think mine vibrates 100% of the time. Ken has a new one for $190, but $190 ??? Wow.

4th Question: In somewhat colder climates (New Jersey for me) dfo you all run 20 -50 W oil all year round? I had been switching to 10-30 during the winter and then back to 20-50 during the warmer weather... any thoughts??

5th Question: I have a clicking noise that happens from time to time (my wife usually drives the van and I have only heard it briefly). It comes from the rear passenger side wheel area. I have jacked the van up, put it in neutral and spun the tire... no noise. I thought it might be the CV joint at first but would this only click on turns? Maybe something in the rear brake shoes is hitting /scraping at times? I did notice that there is a little play in the wheel when I grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock. How much play should there be? If too much is it the bearings??

Thanks for any advice.

-- -- Dan Erlandson 99 Passat 91 Vanagon GL Flemington, NJ > danoer1@eclipse.net