Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:48:49 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Another wiring Q and related headlight relay Q(s)

So when poking around my van's dash installing the tach (everything but the actual tach is hooked up... pretty easy so far, really), i noticed a plug coming out of the #7 fuse slot with no mate. It had a big red wire (prolly 10g?) and was just a couple inches long. Now, if i read the bentley correctly (which i don't often claim to), that is the fuse terminal for the radiator fan. Is this right? And should it be empty?

I'm also planning on installing the relay headlight thingy on my van, and everything seems cool in the archives except for where to pull the main bit of power from to give juice to the relays/headlights. Would this empty plug be an adequate source? It does not seem like it because of the whole overloaded fuse thing. Where is the best place to tap into the main power source?

What are the disadvantages of using the stock wiring harness to power the headlights? One poster in the archives mentions a mere 0.1v drop, which can't cause that much degredation in the amount of light put out. I like the cleanliness of this method, but i'd rather spend a bit of time "doing it right" if using the stock harness is truly inadequate. Otherwise, i guess i'll run the stock wires to the outside of the van, and then hook up the relays from there. Best way to get power from the battery to the radiator area?

As always, thanks for all your input... my little westy doesn't know what is hitting it this week. It just knows it feels good...

-Damon

'84 Westy